Thread: iPod mounting

Beans

iPod mounting

Hello, this noob is generally *very* satisfied with Karmic since switching over from XP after a horrendous virus wiped out my laptop. My only problems have been with hardware devices... I'm so far unable to get Ubuntu 9.10 to play well with my iPod Classic. I *do* get an iPod icon on the desktop and can move files to it, but gtkpod will not mount it. Rythmbox sees it, but doesn't move files or playlists to it. The gtkpod 'howto' file says I should have the hotplug pkg installed, and I don't see it listed as installed OR available from Synaptic manager, and my web searches for it usually lead to a deadend 'not avail'. Sorry for the verbage.... what I need to know is what files / pkgs need to be installed, how do I know if they are on my system, and where do I find them if they are not? I'm assuming my iPod is not mounted correctly but it could be another issue of course. I want PLAYLISTS working! Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: iPod mounting

It's the iPod nano 5th generation? this last generation it doesn't have support yet. but i thing gtkpod works fine with the other ones..

Beans

My iPod is one of the older classic models... 3 yrs old at least. From what I can tell from this forum and others is that the iPod does well with various Linux music apps, but none of them properly recognize my iPod, esp when trying to push a playlist to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CascadianPDX View Post
    My iPod is one of the older classic models... 3 yrs old at least. From what I can tell from this forum and others is that the iPod does well with various Linux music apps, but none of them properly recognize my iPod, esp when trying to push a playlist to it.
    It's been a bit, and since I've last posted, I've upgraded to Lucid 10.04 and there is enough functionality in the GTKPod iPod Manager to do playlists. I discovered that I can drag a group of songs into an existing playlist on the iPod, so my solution is to manually create an 'On The Go' playlist from the iPod by selecting any song from it and holding the center button long enough to make its title flash. That song will be in 'On The Go 1' or 'Playlist 1' if you chose to save it. Then plug in the iPod and run GTKpod. I usually create and load a new playlist from my laptop's library with the tunes I want to put on the iPod. You should see the new iPod playlist "On The Go' with one song in it, which I delete, then drag the whole group of songs from my new library playlist. You can now rename the playlist from "On The Go' to something useful. Hit the 'Save Changes' icon, safely unmount your iPod and you should have a finished a proper playlist without too much fuss.

I think the Ubuntu ecosystem is really close to finally getting this all working seamlessly... I wouldn't be surprised if Apple makes this as hard as possible to 'encourage' folks to only use iTunes.

Beans

Christ.... 1. Make a new playlist from GTKpod. 2. Name it and load it with tunes. 3. Right click on it, select 'copy to' and select your iPod. 4. Save changes. Now it's cooking. Oh yeah!