Thread: Meerkat Ion (mini-review)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Meerkat Ion (mini-review)

Well, it's finally here. I actually left work so I could pickup my new Meerkat Ion. Funny side story, the building that FedEx ground is located in, looks like an old abandon warehouse, and they initially thought they didn't have the package, thankfully they did.

So, opening the box reveals a bunch of air pillow wrap with an AOpen mini ATX case and a package filled with cables, screws, documents, wifi antenna, etc. I open up box and pull out my Meerkat Ion. I never saw a "nettop" before, but I expected it to be a bit smaller. It's a non-issue for me, but just something I noticed. Anyway, I fired it up and screens zoomed past me and I got to a point where it asked for a login. I entered my login and hit enter and then Ubuntu fired up and I had to go through the normal installation screens. Did my updates, installed some software and now I"m rolling. There are still some minor Flash issues on some sites, but it's minor. YouTube and other video feed sites are working great, and despite being able to hear the fan run, it's 50 times quieter than my old desktop.

All and all, I'm pretty happy with it and can't wait to try Lucid out once it is ready. On a side note, not sure if it is because this system has 64bit Ubuntu installed, but I used to use Ubuntuzilla to upgrade Firefox and for whatever reason it won't work on this machine.

Thanks again for System76 for treating me like I was their only customer and shipping me these sweet machine!

Cheers,
    Juelze

P.S. if you have any questions on the Meerkat Ion, please ask!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Meerkat Ion (mini-review)

Thanks, juelze.

You are our only customer!

Just kidding. Enjoy the Ion.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

I'm leaning towards buying the D510 version, a fancier graphics card isn't that essential to me (I watch the occasional compressed movie, play old games, and mostly use cli apps, in fact this is being written in Emacs) but having the dual core, higher bus speed, and compatibility with modern peripherals is fairly important to me. Two quick questions

I still keep around an old windows computer for a few things, and one reason I'm upgrading is to move that to a Virtualbox vm, does the d510 model handle virtual machines well?

I've also taken to using tiling window managers and am leaning towards starting from Ubuntu Server edition so I can install just the apps I want and not the entire Gnome suite. Are there any special drivers I should know about that the D510 Meerkat needs but aren't present in the default ubuntu repositories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

does the d510 model handle virtual machines well?
    It will run VirtualBox and a Windows VM, although the VM *might* be a tad slower than I personally like.

Bear in mind that it has an Atom processor, which can be bottlenecked if you try to do too much at once with it. That said, the 510 is pretty snappy for an Atom processor and does an admirable job. Make sure you max out the memory, though.

You should download and install our System76 Driver. This will apply any necessary patches. I've never tried it on Ubuntu Server Edition, but it should run fine.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC