Thread: Meerkat Ion or Ratel Ultra?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Meerkat Ion or Ratel Ultra?

Ok, I've decided that I'm going to get one of these machines. I just don't know if I'm going to want the extra processing power down the road from the Ratel Ultra. However, I do like the looks of the Meerkat Ion a lot better. Not a big fan of the boxy/cubed look that the Ratel Ultra has going on.

Normally on the computer I'm watching movies/tv, word processing, web development, or just simple Internet surfing and IMing. I might go as far as installing XP through Virtual Box for Microsoft Office, or just using WINE. Any tips on whether or not to go for the Ultra over the Meerkat Ion? If I go with the Ion, I will probably max out the ram (4GB), 500GB HDD, and the Intel WiFi Link. Just concerned if that Dual Core Atom 1.6Ghz processor is enough for most of the things I want to do.

Any tips?

EDIT: One other question. Do you think the Meerkat Ion will be able to handle dual-displays if I decide later on down the road that I want another monitor?
    Last edited by tmette; May 8th, 2010 at 01:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Meerkat Ion or Ratel Ultra?

Well, just talked to a sales rep through System76 and it appears that the Ion does not support dual-displays, which is kind of a bummer. I'm still considering it though, I don't feel like going for those bigger desktops they have just for a dual-display.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tmette View Post
    Well, just talked to a sales rep through System76 and it appears that the Ion does not support dual-displays, which is kind of a bummer. I'm still considering it though, I don't feel like going for those bigger desktops they have just for a dual-display.
    Can't go wrong with the Meerkat Ion. That's what I just got and it's a slick little machine!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Another thing to consider, is I believe the Meerkat series is more energy efficient. To me, that was important since I'll be leaving my PC on quite a bit to stream music to my Android phone.

Either way, having a PC that is built around Ubuntu really shows you how great Ubuntu is. Linux Mint ran well on my old PC, but man, having a System76 PC is like night and day compared to that old PC.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm, I'm still torn between these two computers. I'm thinking getting a Ratel Ultra with the Intel Core i3 processor would benifit me more down the road. I've been reading some reviews that the Meerkat Ion doesn't handle 1080p playback very well given the weaker Intel Atom processor.