Thread: Question about PGP/GPG and OTR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question about PGP/GPG and OTR

I always thought that any kind of public key encryption meant that it was asymmetric. Which means that PGP/GPG and OTR are both examples of asymmetric encryption. But, I was reading their Wikipedia articles and:
    Quote Originally Posted by PGP
    PGP encryption uses a serial combination of hashing, data compression, symmetric-key cryptography, and, finally, public-key cryptography; each step uses one of several supported algorithms.
    Quote Originally Posted by PGP; Early History
    Phil Zimmermann created the first version of PGP encryption in 1991. The name, "Pretty Good Privacy", is humorously ironic and was inspired by the name of a grocery store, "Ralph's Pretty Good Grocery", featured in radio host Garrison Keillor's fictional town, Lake Wobegon. This first version included a symmetric-key algorithm that Zimmermann had designed himself, named BassOmatic after a Saturday Night Live skit.
    Quote Originally Posted by OTR
    Off-the-Record Messaging, commonly referred to as OTR, is a cryptographic protocol that provides strong encryption for instant messaging conversations. OTR uses a combination of the AES symmetric-key algorithm, the Diffie-Hellman key exchange, and the SHA-1 hash function.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diffie-Hellman key exchange
    Diffie–Hellman key exchange (D–H) is a cryptographic protocol that allows two parties that have no prior knowledge of each other to jointly establish a shared secret key over an insecure communications channel. This key can then be used to encrypt subsequent communications using a symmetric key cipher
    I think I understand how OTR works, using the Diffie-Hellman key exchange it uses public keys (asymmetric) encryption to exchange symmetric (secret key encryption). But, OTR is a little different in that the keys are throw away and the entire system is designed so that the conversations can't be decrypted later, even if both parties in the conversation wanted to.

When using GPG I've always used the ElGamal encryption algorithm, which is asymmetric. But that still uses the Diffie-Hellman key exchange. Which "[is] used to encrypt subsequent communications using a symmetric key cipher". But with PGP/GPG the keys aren't throw away like in OTR. And, I don't see how any scheme can use symmetric encryption over the Internet and still be secure. Symmetric encryption keys are vulnerable to interception by a man in the middle.

I'm confused and reading other Wikipedia articles as well as the short section on encryption in one of my textbooks isn't helping either. It seems like all of the sources I've read either aren't telling me what I want to know, or are written in such a way that they assume you already know everything about the subject beforehand.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 260 w/896MB DDR3 @ 655MHz
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 2000
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2x fake RAID0)

Beans

Re: Question about PGP/GPG and OTR

Assymetric (public-key) encryption algorithms are slow. PGP and many other systems will create a random key for a symmetric algorithm, encrypt it to the other person's public key, and then securely send the key over. Then the rest of the message is encrypted with that key in a symmetric algorithm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Agent ME View Post
    Assymetric (public-key) encryption algorithms are slow. PGP and many other systems will create a random key for a symmetric algorithm, encrypt it to the other person's public key, and then securely send the key over. Then the rest of the message is encrypted with that key in a symmetric algorithm.
    So what your saying is: when Alice encrypts a message to send to Bob. She's doing more than just encrypting the message with Bob's public key to be decrypted by Bob's private key? When she selects Bob's key another third key is created that is a combination of one of Alice's keys and Bob's public key?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by blueshiftoverwatch View Post
    So what your saying is: when Alice encrypts a message to send to Bob. She's doing more than just encrypting the message with Bob's public key to be decrypted by Bob's private key? When she selects Bob's key another third key is created that is a combination of one of Alice's keys and Bob's public key?
    When Alice wants to send a message to Bob, this is what happens:

1) Her client (PGP/GPG) will create a one-time session key using a conventional (and fast) symmetric algorithm.

2) That session key is used to encrypt the plaintext and turn it into ciphertext.

3) The session key is then encrypted with the recipient's public key and sent along with the already encrypted ciphertext.

4) The recipient decrypts the session key and then uses the session key to decrypt the ciphertext.

So, basically, the public key is only used to encrypt another symmetric key. The reason is that asymmetric ciphers are much slower than symmetric. So, it's just an issue of speed.

This website explains it all.
    Last edited by rookcifer; April 12th, 2010 at 06:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks, that helped a lot.