Thread: Can I change my username

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can I change my username

Is there a way to get your username changed or corrected?
    My username name should be jaco223, I made a typo when creating it.

Thanks,

Jaco

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can I change my username

I made a request to have my username changed, and my post is now in jail, did I do something wrong? abuse? harassment? when I created my account I
    mistakenly typed jaoc223 instead of jaco223. All my friends call me Jaco
    because I'm a bass player for 20 years now, and my favorite bass player of
    all time was Jaco Pastorius, and I emulated his playing style, so all my friends started calling Jaco and the name stuck. And I love Ubuntu Linux,
    it is the only distro I would ever use now, I'm enjoying testing Lucid beta1. Over the past few years I've tried many Linux distros, Redhat, mandrake, suse, and years ago Storm Linux, and Debian Linux. So I would
    like to be known in the community as Jaco223. I even went as far as creating a new gmail account ( which was tiring trying to input the verification letters, took me like 7 tries before I got one right, they're so hard to read) after doing that, I then tried to register again with Ubuntu forums, after entering the new username and receiving an email from Ubuntu, I logged in and tried to change to my original gmail account, but it said I could not because the email account was already in use. So I gave up. I would just like to have my username changed to jaco223, so I'm
    here writing to the admins, throwing myself on the mercy of the Ubuntu court to have my username changed, and to be let out of jail. So if you
    could find it the heart of #root/ to change my name I would be so grateful
    and delighted. I was told I would have to convince the admins to do so, this is the best I could do to try and convince. So if it is not too much of an inconvenience could you please help me out? Thank you for your time and consideration. I've never been in jail before, so I'm a little worried as to why my post is in jail, any chance of getting bailed out?

Sincerely,

Jaco

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Can I change my username

[QUOTE=jaoc223;9033860]I made a request to have my username changed, and my post is now in jail, did I do something wrong? abuse? harassment? when I created my account I mistakenly typed jaoc223 instead of jaco223. All my friends call me Jaco because I'm a bass player for 20 years now, and my favorite bass player of all time was Jaco Pastorius, and I emulated his playing style, so all my friends started calling Jaco and the name stuck. And I love Ubuntu Linux, it is the only distro I would ever use now, I'm enjoying testing Lucid beta1. Over the past few years I've tried many Linux distros, Redhat, mandrake, suse, and years ago Storm Linux, and Debian Linux. So I would like to be known in the community as Jaco223. I even went as far as creating a new gmail account ( which was tiring trying to input the verification letters, took me like 7 tries before I got one right, they're so hard to read) after doing that, I then tried to register again with Ubuntu forums, after entering the new username and receiving an email from Ubuntu, I logged in and tried to change to my original gmail account, but it said I could not because the email account was already in use. So I gave up. I would just like to have my username changed to jaco223, so I'm here writing to the admins, throwing myself on the mercy of the Ubuntu court to have my username changed, and to be let out of jail. So if you
    could find it the heart of #root/ to change my name I would be so grateful
    and delighted. I was told I would have to convince the admins to do so, this is the best I could do to try and convince. So if it is not too much of an inconvenience could you please help me out? Thank you for your time and consideration. I've never been in jail before, so I'm a little worried as to why my post is in jail, any chance of getting bailed out?

Sincerely,

Jaco

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for the awful formatting.

Beans
    Distro

From the Forum FAQ
    Can I change my username?

No. Usernames can not be changed - dashes can not be added, lowercase cannot be made uppercase, etc. However, you may choose to create a new account and then request that we disable the original one. The only exceptions to this are extreme cases, such as when a user has been harassed by another user or when the username contains the member's email address or real name.

Note: If you do make a new account, you will have to transfer all information yourself, as we will not do this for you. Also, we can't transfer your statistics (beans, account age and the like) to the new account.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!