Thread: gcin: CTRL+space doesn't change input method

Beans

gcin: CTRL+space doesn't change input method

recently installed ubuntu 9.10 and upgraded packages

afterwards installed gcin using the following:
    sudo apt-get remove
    sudo apt-get install gcin
    im-switch -s gcin

i don't think gcin started automatically, so i probably rebooted and i was able to toggle between the different input methods and type chinese characters in various apps... no problems.

after the next reboot, i couldn't use CTRL+space to change the input method. gcin had started (i see the icon in the tray), and i could click on the icon to change between traditional/simplified, view preferences, etc. i don't recall making any significant changes that might have affected gcin.

i tried restarting gcin, running im-switch... no change. i added traditional chinese font support via system->language support. system->lang support shows gcin as "keyboard input method system". I added export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 to /etc/profile. none of this worked.

i re-installed gcin (via system pkg manager and command line), but the toggling will not work. in gcin settings, "toggle input window" is set to ctrl+space; changed to ****+space for kicks, but still doesn't work.

other details:
    XMODIFIERS=@im=gcin
    gcin-qt-3-immodule is installed with gcin via synaptic pkg mgr and sudo-apt.

tiger@tiger-desktop:/etc$ im-switch -l
    Your input method setup under en_US locale as below.
    ================================================== =====
    The configuration "/home/tiger/.xinput.d/en_US" is defined as a link pointing to
    ibus
    This private configuration supersedes the system wide default.
    The system wide default is pointed by "/etc/alternatives/xinput-all_ALL" .
    xinput-all_ALL - auto mode
    link currently points to default
    default - priority 10
    default-xim - priority 0
    gcin - priority 0
    none - priority 0
    Current `best' version is default.
    The available input method configuration files are:
    default default-xim gcin ibus none th-xim

please don't suggest using SCIM; i prefer to use gcin
    thanks

Beans

Re: gcin: CTRL+space doesn't change input method

i was dorking around with this some more... issued a "sudo killall gcin" to try manually starting gcin (didn't really work since it restarts on its own)
    however, after issuing the killall i can toggle to chinese... 好奇怪!

i rebooted the system, but it will only work after the killall. what is interesting is that restarting the gcin service through the gcin tray preferences won't work.

so, i am guessing it is an environment issue... not exactly sure how gcin gets automatically started. it doesn't appear to be in /etc/init.d, so i guess via X or gnome which i don't know much about... anyways if anyone has any ideas on any of the above i would appreciate it.

at least i have an easy enough work around. i'll dork around with it more when i have more time to burn

Beans

Hey, I have the same problem, and your method (sudo killall gcin) works for me, too. That's very weird.

I wonder whether such problem has something to do with 64-bit edition. Though my desktop computer, which is 64-bit, has the same problem like yours, I use 32-bit ubuntu on my laptop and have no troubles with gcin.

Does anyone has any ideas? Thanks for reading.

Beans

The same here, have to "killall gcin" to make it work.