Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Complaint regarding deletion of post

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Luleå, Sweden
    Beans
    573
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Complaint regarding deletion of post

    I'm going to give this a shot now, even if I already know it won't have any kind of effect at all, and will most likely be ignored by anyone who isn't already involved in the issue. Those that are involved will probably leave a dismissive and/or condescending message and then lock this thread.

    Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot.

    A few hours ago I posted the following post in this thread (which has since been closed for "causing drama"):

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevon
    I don't think a lot of people care if some random retards act in an improper manner. What people do care about is when real, well thought out and properly presented criticism falls on deaf ears even when delivered through proper channels (such as the Launchpad bug tracker, for example).

    Just two days ago I read two blog posts by developers who had decided to abandon Ubuntu for some other distros because of exactly this. I'm afraid I could only find the link for one of them, but here you go: http://www.fewt.com/2010/03/bye-ubun...n-fun-but.html
    If you're truly interested, I also suggest you read through the comments on the bug report linked to in that article. There are some real gems in there by our beloved SABDFL.
    Upon which I recieved an infraction for using the term "retards" as a derogatory term. Alright, I see the point that you probably shouldn't use that particular word. However, I don't see why the post has to be deleted in its entirety. Couldn't the potentially offensive word have been censored, as is the case with the curse words that are censored by the word filter? What would be the difference?

    So, I posted the post again but without the derogatory term, because I wanted to get my say in the thread as well as allow people to read the article I linked to. This time I got a 5 times more serious infraction, for "open insubordination". This was most likely because I had added the following to the beginning of my post, to explain why I was posting it again:

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevon
    A moderator decided to delete one of my earlier posts, because I had used a term that he apparently didn't approve of using. I have now replaced that word with one that I hope is more to his liking. I wouldn't want to upset him, lest he deletes more of my posts.

    So that you can still find the article I linked to, here is the post again:[...]
    Ok, so you're not allowed to criticize the actions of the moderators outside of PMs or the resolution center...

    By now I was just fed up with the way they were acting, so I just posted my original post but without the derogatory term. In other words, there was absolutely nothing in my post which would break the CoC.

    The post was deleted... Again. This time I received no explanation whatsoever.

    And then I got another warning for criticizing the actions of the moderators outside of the resolution center. However, this time that particular rule bending only netted me a warning. The time before I got 5 infraction points.

    I would very much like an explanation of what it was in my post (with the derogatory term removed and without any kind of note about the moderator's actions) that was against the CoC. And I would also like to know why the moderator in question felt it was a good idea to remove a constructive part of the discussion because of the unfortunate use of a single word. Why was that better than simply removing that word?

    I have really had it with some parts of this forum's moderating crew. This really is the last time I am even going to try to voice some sort of concern. Take it for what you will. You can choose to ignore it, as I expect you will, and go on business as usual, or you can actually take a look at yourselves and maybe see that it is absolutely impossible for a normal member to get any of your decisions overturned.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Complaint regarding deletion of post

    One post jailed had this ...

    "I don't think a lot of people care if some random chapeaux de derrière act in an improper manner. "

    Another post jailed had this ...

    "I don't think a lot of people care if some random retards act in an improper manner."

    These clearly show where the breach of the code of conduct is. Also opening this thread in the agressive manner in which you have is not the way to do thing. If you wish to have this matter considered further I recommend you alter your approach.

    I also remind of this ...

    " You agree that the web-master, administrators and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any post, topic or thread at any time they see fit following the guidelines outlined below. You agree that the web-master, administrators and moderators of this forum have the right to send a private message with a warning and/or censor any forum user who is in violation of forum policy.

    Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.

    Respect the forum staff. We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We will occasionally ask for input, but in some cases we will not, please respect our decisions. Also, we do edit for content, if you have an issue with our moderation, please open a request in the forum resolution center."
    This account is not active.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Beans
    9,213
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Complaint regarding deletion of post

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    I have really had it with some parts of this forum's moderating crew. This really is the last time I am even going to try to voice some sort of concern. Take it for what you will. You can choose to ignore it, as I expect you will, and go on business as usual, or you can actually take a look at yourselves and maybe see that it is absolutely impossible for a normal member to get any of your decisions overturned.
    KiwiNZ effectively addressed the rest of the post, so I'll focus on this paragraph. A quick scan of posts in the Resolution Center will show that we have on several occasions admitted error and overturned actions. There is no truth to your assertion.

    What we do not overturn are actions by staff that are obviously within the context of both the letter and the spirit of the forum rules. This is one of those times.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

    Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Luleå, Sweden
    Beans
    573
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Complaint regarding deletion of post

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    One post jailed had this ...

    "I don't think a lot of people care if some random chapeaux de derrière act in an improper manner. "
    Yes? So...? The person before me had clearly referred to people who pariticipate in discussions with the sole intention of degrading or ridiculing other memebers as "d i c k s". How is it that that's okay, but me referring to them as "asshats" is not? I removed the offending word because I wanted to participate in the thread and I wanted my contribution to it it to be shown.

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Another post jailed had this ...

    "I don't think a lot of people care if some random retards act in an improper manner."
    Yes? What's your point? I already said I understand why the first post was jailed, even if I disagree with the actions taken (it would seem the logical and constructive thing to do would be to simply remove the offending word, rather than the entire post).

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    "Also, we do edit for content, if you have an issue with our moderation, please open a request in the forum resolution center."[/I]
    Hold on a second. Yes you do. Obviously you have, since you have removed not just the offending part of the post, but the entire message. Also, when I had removed the offending part of the message myself, you deleted the message anyway - without ever saying why.

    Also, I notice that none of you have answered my questions. Why is that? And how come no one else but you two ever participate in any of the threads I have created in the resolution center? Could it be that you're holding each others backs? Oh wait, you'll just give me another infraction now and tell me that I'm "causing drama", right?

    It's funny how every time I try to reason with you guys, I get multiple PMs from people telling me that it's no use. You really don't see how ridiculous the situation is, do you?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Complaint regarding deletion of post

    Membership of these Forums is not compulsory. Clearly you no longer wish to follow the Code of Conduct.

    It is time you left these Forums and we wish you will for the future.
    This account is not active.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Complaint regarding deletion of post

    I have retained the Private messages relating to this. For privacy matters relating to the ex member I have not included them here.
    This account is not active.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •