Thread: image writer deletes "boot" flag

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Red face image writer deletes "boot" flag

Im trying to install the lucid beta 1 netbook image on my notebook and am using Ubuntu image writer to put it on my usb thumb drive but its deleting my boot flag so it wont boot...I've done this many times before so I don't know whats going on...
    when I put it into g parted it just shows as unallocated space
    I seem to be suffering from Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure,please contact me in another plane of existence!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: image writer deletes "boot" flag

First thing - Linux doesn't have any use for a partition boot flag. That's a Windows necessity. So you can happily forget about the boot flag.

Second - you're using Ubuntu Image Writer. Image Writer can only use .img images, and on this link I can only see .iso images for the standard x86 architecture for the netbook version of Lucid. Are you using an .img for the wrong architecture by chance, or an .iso file?

If you obtain the x86 ISO, you can use Startup Disk Creator which you can find in a default install of Karmic under System > Administration. I find that works very well for making bootable USB thumb drives.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.