Thread: How is Support for Non-Wacom Tablets

Beans

Question How is Support for Non-Wacom Tablets

My Wacom Bamboo Fun died on me and I'm wondering how support is for non-wacom tablets; Genius and Adesso in particular. Anyone have first-hand experience working with one in Ubuntu? Any documentation?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: How is Support for Non-Wacom Tablets

Hi all,

I'm wondering the same thing. I was going to start my own thread on this subject and then ran across this thread via a forum tag search.

I have an Adesso Cyber Tablet 12000 graphics tablet and would like to know if there's any Linux drivers and/or software support for this model? I've installed Xournal which somewhat works with my tablet, but the stylus cursor isn't stable nor am I able to calibrate the tablet to the screen area. I've also tried using it in GIMP to no avail with the same result/problem. I'd really like to use this tablet on Linux if it's possible.

If no one has or is working on a solution, is there anyone out there willing to tackle this project?

I'll gladly upload the software/driver CD that came with it if someone wants to work up a stable solution. On the CD is factory support for MS-Windows 2k-XP(Vista?) and Mac OSX OS's, so I would think there's a solution for Linux. Or you can download the .zip file with new drivers from the page linked above for MS-Windows 2k-7 and Mac OSX-(update -- you must now register membership to access Adesso website downloads as of March 2010). My offer to upload driver(s) from disc still stands -- PM me?. I'm not a programmer and haven't a clue how one would go about this. Any takers?

Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or leads to a solution or a work in progress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Visible Spirit

OS = Ubuntu Studio v8.04 LTS
    Last edited by Visible Spirit; March 22nd, 2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Updated link. Added commentary.
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, ... and not everything that counts can be counted."
    1879 ~Albert Einstein~ 1955

Ubuntu user #23155 ______________ Linux user #475466

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How is Support for Non-Wacom Tablets

Hi have a Genius G-Pen F610. It works ok in Karmic.
    I had to patch the wacom driver to get it to work though. In Jaunty it was fine.
    Also, there are two extra buttons on the stylus but they both do the same thing regardless of config. Other than that, it's great.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: How is Support for Non-Wacom Tablets

Bump.

Still looking for a solution. Please read post above.

Thanks,
    Visible Spirit
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, ... and not everything that counts can be counted."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This is from quite some time ago.
    Anyways, from what I understood about tablets, here are some tips. First, tablets are made by major companies (wacom, waltop, wizardpen, etc) then rebranded into something else. For example the tablet I have is branded as a Genius; but the base is a Waltop.
    The best way would be to figure out what brand your tablet is. Most of them have some kind of driver for linux. Try doing lsusb or maybe even better lsusb -v.
    Aha also do xinput list.
    Last edited by tudor117; March 22nd, 2010 at 03:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi tudor117,

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated! I'll check into this and see what I can come up with.

Regards,
    Visible Spirit