Thread: Compiling a Qt app fully static

Beans

Compiling a Qt app fully static

Can anyone tell me how to compile an application that requires the Qt libraries into a static version where the libraries are compiled into the application?

As to why: I'm creating a slim installation of linux for my netbook, and all of the applications I use are GTK - but for linux I am yet to find a GTK substitute for MSPaint! There just isnt one that can compete with its simplicity yet useful feature set (ive tried them all; mtpaint, tuxpaint, xpaint...etc etc) I have found Kolourpaint which is an almost identical clone of MSPaint, but it is Qt based (grrr!) and rather than installing the like 100MB of Qt bloat for a single app, I was hoping to link the bits it needs statically and end up with a large binary that will run on a Qt-less system (I think Skype do this).

(I know MSPaint runs under Wine, and thats what i'm using at the moment because I need Wine for Office 2007 and WinHex anyway, so it adds next to zero overhead. the problem is its not a "proper" linux solution imho, and a native app would be much better)
    Last edited by dennis123123; April 28th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.

Beans

Re: Compiling a Qt app fully static

bump...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you're still interested:
    http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/deploym...-qt-statically

I belive that you should performa a full Qt build to get a static version of Qt modules, then link you application to them.

Beans

you just gave a link to deploy with windows not X11