View Poll Results: Have you clicked on the wrong thing since the window control switch?

Voters
772. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have clicked on the wrong thing multiple times

406 52.59%
  • Yes, I have clicked on the wrong thing but only once

68 8.81%
  • No, I haven't but I fear others may click on the wrong thing

34 4.40%
  • No, I haven't clicked on the wrong thing

185 23.96%
  • The controls switched? I hadn't noticed

19 2.46%
  • Other (please explain)

60 7.77%
Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you clicked on the wrong thing since the window control switch?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have you clicked on the wrong thing since the window control switch?

Mark Shuttleworth wants to know if folks have clicked on the wrong thing since the switch of the window controls from the right to the left.

I'm also curious to know.

More details here:
    Location of Window Buttons
    Last edited by aysiu; March 15th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Beans

Re: Have you clicked on the wrong thing since the window control switch?

Only once, and that was the time I first noticed the change. I don't think I have since then.

Beans

Thanks for the testing poll Aysiu. I <3 you.

Beans

This will be funny. People who don't like it will most likely say they did click the wrong things since the switch.

Beans

Unfortunately, I don't think that's a very useful question, at least on its own. Because:

• It's next to inevitable that people will at least once click the wrong thing when a layout they're used to changes suddenly. Slightly better questions would be how many times they clicked the wrong thing, and how long the misclicks continued until they adapted.

• Data on whether people clicked the wrong thing or not, or how often and how long it happened, are not to be used alone in determining the appropriateness of the positioning. Even if people don't misclick, they could be hesitating, looking for the buttons, shoving their cursor to the right, discovering that there are no buttons, and then going left, so on. The cognitive load that the change makes people suffer is also important, and cannot be quantified with binary choices.

• People will rationalize in their answers according to what they prefer, and since most people's comfort zone is the old setup with window controls on the right, the rationalization will be hugely skewed in that direction. Observing people's behavior in a usability testing setup would be hugely more useful.

I'll try to come up with such an ad-hoc usability test for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just a terrible idea with this location, I hate it...

I am nearly always running everything in windowed-mode and seldom full screen. A lot of wrong clicks..... crap !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm not trying to drag the window, I'm trying to close it!

I gconf'd it back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think that's a very useful question, at least on its own. Because:

• It's next to inevitable that people will at least once click the wrong thing when a layout they're used to changes suddenly. Slightly better questions would be how many times they clicked the wrong thing, and how long the misclicks continued until they adapted.

• Data on whether people clicked the wrong thing or not, or how often and how long it happened, are not to be used alone in determining the appropriateness of the positioning. Even if people don't misclick, they could be hesitating, looking for the buttons, shoving their cursor to the right, discovering that there are no buttons, and then going left, so on. The cognitive load that the change makes people suffer is also important, and cannot be quantified with binary choices.

• People will rationalize in their answers according to what they prefer, and since most people's comfort zone is the old setup with window controls on the right, the rationalization will be hugely skewed in that direction. Observing people's behavior in a usability testing setup would be hugely more useful.

I agree with you in theory, but Mark wanted to know if people actually clicked the wrong thing. If I were Mark, instead of saying "It was my choice because I prefer it that way, but I'm open to switching it if people say they clicked the wrong thing (not that someone else might)" [I'm paraphrasing based on memory], I would have said "I chose to switch the controls to the left, because I believe it has these usability benefits, which I will list right here: A) B) and C)."

Of course, since I see absolutely no usability benefit to the change, I can't even list hypothetically what A) B) and C) could be. I'd love to hear what the actual justification is and not just some vague allusions to a personal preference.

Regardless, even the things you ask for aren't entirely relevant. Ubuntu, because of the download-burn-install-configure distribution system it predominantly relies on, is mainly the realm of power users, so there does have to be a bit of projecting what someone might do (most average users cling to familiarity of interface than power users do). Power users are far more likely, after clicking the wrong thing a few times, to go into gconf-editor and switch it back themselves.
    Last edited by aysiu; March 15th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post

Yep, What would have been a good idea is for Canonical to do real usability testing of their own.

Beans

Thanks Aysiu! I'm laughing like crazy!

Needless to say I added something to my post-install procedure

I'm doing iso testing today and I don't take time to modify so every d*m* time I start playing with the live desktop I find myself going totally nuts!

It's not a huge deal but for sure one that applies to your article that you pointed out to me about defaults mattering. This one really matters!

Thanks again, finally a poll that really matters

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast