Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB + Windows 7 = Can't put windows to sleep/hibernate

Beans

GRUB + Windows 7 = Can't put windows to sleep/hibernate

Hi all,

I recently had this problem with my machine, which I just solved, but since other people might run into it, I thought I'd put the solution up here for future users. While not strictly an Ubuntu issue (the problem appears in Win7) it is related to the Ubuntu install.

Symptom: With Windows 7 installed, installing Ubuntu with GRUB on the MBR can lead to Windows unable to enter sleep or hibernate mode (The screen will go dark for a second, but immediately come back on). Reverting the MBR using the windows 7 DVD fixes the issue (but prevents GRUB from working).

Issue: For sleep/hibernate to work, the first windows partition needs to be marked as boot, even with GRUB installed.

Solution: In Ubuntu, use gparted (If not install, add it). On your booting hard drive (usually /dev/sda), make sure that the first windows partition (normally /dev/sda1) is marked as 'boot'. Close gparted and restart.

GRUB should work just as before (It is on the MBR, so it doesn't really care), and windows will be able to put to sleep and hibernate without issues.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Re: GRUB + Windows 7 = Can't put windows to sleep/hibernate

hi i was hoping that you could help me out with this i have the same exact problem, just with a different setup. I have windows 7 installed on hd 2 in my system and ubuntu 9.10 installed on hd 1 with grub installed on it also. I did what you said in here and made it so boot was set to the first partition on the windows drive ( it was already) also i thought it might help to tell u that my linux partition with grub was set to boot also, i think grub set it to that. my system loads and grub works and everything is dandy, but in win 7 i get the same problem that you described with sleep. plz help thanks a bunch

Beans

Hi Justin!

What did the trick for me is the following:

You don't need to set the boot flag on the Windows7 partition itself, but really on the FIRST partition on the drive where the Windows partition resides on (in my case this was this small 100MB recovery partition windows automatically creates).

Best
    Rainer

Beans

rvjr: Excellent! That solved it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i had to register and say thx alot! this worked for me as well, installed ubuntu+grub and hibernating on windows 7 stopped working, but now i got it going again!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by rvjr View Post
    Hi Justin!

What did the trick for me is the following:

You don't need to set the boot flag on the Windows7 partition itself, but really on the FIRST partition on the drive where the Windows partition resides on (in my case this was this small 100MB recovery partition windows automatically creates).

Best
    Rainer
    It still does not work for me. I have Sidux installed with GRUB. I checked with gparted and the 1st partition on the disk is indeed marked as "boot". It still can't hibernate (I meant Windows 7).

Beans

Thanks for the tip! I used KDE's partition manager in Kubuntu, set the boot flag on my first partition, which happened to be Windows 7, and now Windows hibernates! I always thought it was my video drivers that were at fault.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi, I also have Ubuntu and Windows 7 in the same harddisk. After reading the above posts, I try to use Windows to solve the problem. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management then click Disk Management under Storage. My harddisk is partitioned as Linux Ext4, Linux Swap, NTFS ( C: ) and NTFS ( D: ) where Windows 7 is installed in partition C: so I rightclick the partition and click "Mark Partition as Active" and click on "Yes" when a dialog box is prompted. Close the Computer Management tool and try to hibernate. Tada... Hibernate is working now!

Thanks to above expert who give me the idea and solve my problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

setting the boot flag didn't work for me. typing "powercfg -h off" into the windows 7 command prompt seems to have worked, Windows 7 now sleeps as it should.
    Last edited by misterbiskits; December 24th, 2010 at 01:39 AM.

Beans

I haven't had problems with sleep, but I did have the hibernation issue (which was very problematic when my computer decides to hibernate in my bag).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast