Thread: starling - system monitor/system updates crashing ubuntu

Beans

starling - system monitor/system updates crashing ubuntu

Brand new Staling, just arrived today, a little disappointed at the moment.

Got a system lock up with nothing but a black screen when I tried launching the system monitor, had to power cycle and hard boot.

Tried running the latest updates, system crashed again with a black screen, again had to power cycle. now the computer just locks up at the login screen with an error and then freezes, I cant even use the computer at this point

Error in the top right corner at login screen:
    the configuration defaults for GNOME power manager have not been installed correctly, please contact system administrator.

I'm assuming this is due to the computer crashing while installing updates.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: starling - system monitor/system updates crashing ubuntu

Wondering if this has anything to do with the errors I was getting regarding the repository, it kept hanging when reloading the software list and saying it could not locate certain repositories with a URL that had some type of system76 driver domain.

Also trying to load the page for restoring your system (figured I could do this since nothing important is on it yet) but getting page loading errors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Another thread comments on the fact that both System 76 web sites are having problems. So any attempt to download anything from them right now will fail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

DON'T WORRY! WE HAVEN'T GONE AWAY!

Our web hosting service is experiencing a data center-wide outage. We are currently transferring our site to other servers and expect this process to take a couple of days.

While we will be unable to take orders while the site is down, we are still available via forums, phone and email to answer any sales or support questions you have.

This will also keep the System76 Driver from running, as it pings our website to determine that there is an Internet connection. We're sorry for this inconvenience.

Please see...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1399130
    ...for further updates on our website.

Tom Aaron
    support@system76.com
    720-226-9269
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Has there been any resolution to this problem?

I received my starling on Feb 19 with 9.10 loaded. I loaded the System76 drivers from their web site but have done no other updates.

I also get a black screen of death when I try to run the System Monitor. There are no error messages. Like the OP, I have to cycle the power to reboot.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

jangat,

We're not working on this particular bug right now. Instead, we're trying to get the driver included by default in the next version of Ubuntu. That will *probably* fix the System Monitor bug and several other issues.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

I too can reproduce this problem. This looks like a kernel panic to me. In X, the screen goes black except for a text cursor in the upper left-hand corner and the mouse cursor where it had last been, and the caps-lock light blinks.

If I switch to a VT, I can get nearly the same behavior, but with an error message also present:

Code:
    :~$ export DISPLAY=:0.0
    :~$ gnome-system-monitor

** (gnome-system-monitor:1979): WARNING **: SELinux was found but is not enabled.

[  436.144602] Kernel panic - not syncing: stack-protector: Kernel stack is corrupted in: c049e1f5
    [  436.144612]
    [  436.145303] [drm:intelfb_panic] *ERROR* panic occurred, switching back to text console
    This isn't a lot to go on, and I'm not seeing any panic information in /var/log/messages. My WAG is that intelfb means Intel framebuffer, and this panic was instigated by the video driver. But I'm way out of my league here and may be completely off base.

ETA: Sorry thomasaaron, I completely overlooked your post above. Sounds like you guys already have a pretty good idea what the problem is.
    Last edited by Schrollini; February 23rd, 2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Can't read.