Thread: Ratel beeping

Beans

Ratel beeping

I got a system76 desktop (Ratel Value) in November 2009 with the following options:

*Operating System : Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) 64 Bit Linux
    *Processor : Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.60 GHz FSB 800 MHz L2 2 MB
    *Memory : 4 GB - 2 x 2 GB - DDR 2 - 800 MHz
    *Graphics : 512 MB nVidia GeForce 9400 GT
    *Hard Drive : 80 GB SATA II 300 Mbps - 7200 RPM 8MB Buffer

Occasionally, the machine beeps (like a constant pcspkr system beep for maybe 2 seconds) while shutting down. I was just wondering if this was a sign of anything horribly wrong. It doesn't do it all the time, but maybe 1/5th of the time? I want to say one time I thought it beeped while starting up, but I'm not sure.

I'm assuming/hoping it's nothing, but I just wanted to be sure because I'm an idiot at all things hardware-related.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ratel beeping

It's probably nothing. But you might want to test your memory by running memtest86 on it. Here are instructions for doing that...

Reboot your computer. When you see the grub countdown menu, press the 'Shift' key. When you see the grub menu, press your 'down' arrow until Memtest86 is highlighted. Then press 'Enter' to start testing.

Please start Ubuntu in the evening before going to bed and let it run all night long. Memory card problems can be subtle, and sometimes they will not show up until the cards start heating up. Often it will take several passes before errors appear.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC