Thread: RSYNC to/from NTFS on login/logout?

Beans

Question RSYNC to/from NTFS on login/logout?

My mother has a laptop and I have just finished installing Ubuntu 9.10 64bit on a separate partition (not Wubi). However, she frequently uses Google Picasa for her photo management and she might use Windows one day and Ubuntu the next. I rsync-ed her photos over from her Vista account to her new Ubuntu account for this, and running rsync on its own works perfectly.

What I want to do is have rsync automatically copy new files from Vista's NTFS partition on login and on logout have it copy things back (with rsync, of course, like I've been using before). I've tried putting rsync commands in .bashrc and .bash_logout like some people suggest, but they aren't working for some reason! If I run the commands I set after I log in, they work perfectly.

Here's how I've set my commands:
    Code:
    rsync -a [win directory] [ubuntu directory] #this is for restoring any changes from Windows (goes in .bashrc)

rsync -a [ubuntu directory] [win directory] #this is for syncing changes with windows (goes in .bash_logout)
    Any help would be appreciated! None of the above types of commands work when they're in those files, but they work fine when I use them after login.

Beans

Re: RSYNC to/from NTFS on login/logout?

I think bashrc and bash_logout only run when a terminal is opened.

make a script and add it to the startup applications.
    I am not sure what to do about the logout though.
    You could have the script run after she closes her photo management program.
    (make a wrapper script that will load the program, then run the rsync script.)
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lavinog View Post
    I think bashrc and bash_logout only run when a terminal is opened.

make a script and add it to the startup applications.
    I am not sure what to do about the logout though.
    You could have the script run after she closes her photo management program.
    (make a wrapper script that will load the program, then run the rsync script.)
    great idea; I'll try that!

anyone knowing of a good way to sync on logout would be great.

Beans

There might be a way to write the script to stay idle until it receives a signal to terminate, but I think if the sync takes too long, you run the risk of it being terminated prematurely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Toadinator View Post
    What I want to do is have rsync automatically copy new files from Vista's NTFS partition on login and on logout have it copy things back (with rsync, of course, like I've been using before). I've tried putting rsync commands in .bashrc and .bash_logout like some people suggest, but they aren't working for some reason! If I run the commands I set after I log in, they work perfectly.

Here's how I've set my commands:
    Code:
    rsync -a [win directory] [ubuntu directory] #this is for restoring any changes from Windows (goes in .bashrc)

rsync -a [ubuntu directory] [win directory] #this is for syncing changes with windows (goes in .bash_logout)
    Any help would be appreciated! None of the above types of commands work when they're in those files, but they work fine when I use them after login.
    For login put a script in System-Preferences-Startup Applications, for logout:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-628616.html
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    For login put a script in System-Preferences-Startup Applications, for logout:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-628616.html
    Wow, thanks! I'll be sure to try this out (I can't believe I didn't think of it before... I used to do that kind of thing all the time)!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toadinator View Post
    I rsync-ed her photos over from her Vista account to her new Ubuntu account for this, and running rsync on its own works perfectly.
    @reboot is a nice shorthand time in your crontab (man 5 crontab).

I like the automatic backup, but would it not be possible to achieve the mirroring effect by mounting the windows partition in fstab, and linking the Windows pictures folder into the Ubuntu home folder?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by StuartN View Post
    @reboot is a nice shorthand time in your crontab (man 5 crontab).

I like the automatic backup, but would it not be possible to achieve the mirroring effect by mounting the windows partition in fstab, and linking the Windows pictures folder into the Ubuntu home folder?
    That could be the easiest and would require the least amount of diskspace. It would however, be vulnerable to a single point failure such as ntfs corruption.