Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: gnome-system-monitor's window distorted

Beans

Re: gnome-system-monitor's window distorted

Same problem on my compaq AMD 64 3400 with radeon card.

Beans

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sd/+bug/429295
    worked on a thinkpad x31:

xorg.conf -> Device Section:
    Option "RenderAccel" "false"

fixed the osd, system monitor and gnome-do issues but not the glitches with visual effects enabled though :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good man! I want to buy you a beer.

Worked like a charm on a T42.

Love this community!

These other glitches with visual effects enabled that you mention, are you experiencing the same odd stuff as I do, i.e. bluetooth icon going black, purple lines under taskbar when coming out of hibernate etc?
    Last edited by tedrogers; November 16th, 2009 at 11:00 PM.
    "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention." - Hedley Lamarr
    Lenovo T500 2243-4EG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tedrogers View Post
    Good man! I want to buy you a beer.

Worked like a charm on a T42.

Love this community!

These other glitches with visual effects enabled that you mention, are you experiencing the same odd stuff as I do, i.e. bluetooth icon going black, purple lines under taskbar when coming out of hibernate etc?
    I join in for the beer - it saved my day ...
    I encountered this problem on an X32 after upgrading to 9.10.

On an other machine (ASUS sthgorother) the upgrade failed and the machine never reached the end of the boot phase (or X11 startup - I don't know).
    However even after a 'clean' install I encounter the same problem.

Beans

Sounds great but there is no xorg.conf or am I missing somthing?

Quote Originally Posted by morsel View Post
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sd/+bug/429295
    worked on a thinkpad x31:

xorg.conf -> Device Section:
    Option "RenderAccel" "false"

fixed the osd, system monitor and gnome-do issues but not the glitches with visual effects enabled though :/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dargaardms View Post
    Sounds great but there is no xorg.conf or am I missing somthing?
    ...Only xorg.conf but this can be created. I had to do this myself and was required to add the section as follow (this is actually my entire xorg.conf file) youst be aware that these setting was those working for me, your system MIGHT need other settings (unsure? try it, worst case is that ubuntu will start up in terminal mode after reboot. Then just remove the xorg.conf created).

Code:
    # To avoid unreadable windows.
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Radeon7500"
    	Driver	"ati"
    	BusID	"PCI:1:0:0"
    	Option	"RenderAccel" "false"
    EndSection
    Now, save and reboot and prepare to put a big green on your face...

Reason for why you could not find the file is this that xorg.conf is by default not needed as X may run perfectly without, but if default settings is to be tweaked this is where to do it, as far as I understand.

However, what scares me is that this feature which was working in 9.04 now is not working in 9.10. Only possible explanation to this is that the default value in 9.04 for render accelerator has been changed from FALSE to TRUE so that in 9.10 the accelerator is on by default.

Also I do not understan WHY the rendering accelerator is not working, this has to be a defect or missing feature in xorg driver, afaik.

However, for the moment thing works and I am happy, its just a bad feeling to know there are unused resources available...

time for another

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, for someone likes me who can't turn on compiz via System>Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects. There is yet another workaround that may work by enabling the compositing feature of Metacity.

Just install ubuntu-tweak from Package Manager. Inside Ubuntu Tweak, find Desktop > Windows and check Enable Metacity's Compositing feature under Compositing Manager.

On my X22, Visual Effects can't be turned on, but enabling the Metacity's Compositing feature also solve the display problem.
    Last edited by foureyesboy; November 22nd, 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for sharing that...that is good to know for those in your situation.
    "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention." - Hedley Lamarr
    Lenovo T500 2243-4EG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I noticed the crosshatching when I was trying various distros to see what worked on an old PIII 550 w/320 MB RAM and lower end Radeon AGP card (I think w/32 MB RAM). Actually with Xubuntu 9.10 I could not even get into X once I did the first set of updates unless I installed xorg-driver-fglrx before doing any updates. But even with that the crosshatch continued for System Monitor and OSD for wireless or networking up.

I don't remember if the crosshatch was in Ubuntu 9.10. But that would not even initially go into X unless I logged into Failsafe GNOME. And from there I was able to install xorg-driver-fglrx.

Jaunty ran fine with its default modules. I ended up installing Qimo 4 kids (based on Ubuntu 8.10) for my niece's twin 4 year old boys, and that works fine.

The Radeon card on my desktop (Athlon64 3200+ 2 GHz 1024K cache) had no problems with default modules and no xorg.conf in fresh 64-bit 9.10 install. 64-bit flashplugin sometimes crashed FireFox (fixed with lahf plugin), and screensavers sometimes crashed (maybe for same missing lahf on my cpu), so I just use blank screen:

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]
        Subsystem: VISIONTEK Device 1910
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 64 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 2: Memory at ff4f0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Region 4: I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
        Expansion ROM at ff4c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
            Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [58] AGP version 3.0
            Status: RQ=256 Iso- ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA+ ITACoh- GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3+ Rate=x4,x8
            Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=2 Cal=0 SBA+ AGP+ GART64- 64bit- FW- Rate=x4
        Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
            Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
        Kernel modules: radeon

Beans

Hi,
    had the same problem here with Karmic on an IBM T42 after upgrading from Jaunty and installing something which broke the notify-osd and gnome-do.
    I was unable to install activate compiz (normal visual effects), but when I connected to my pc with freenx it worked.
    So I created a second user and it worked fine.
    So something is wrong in one of the settings in the /home folder. I googled a bit, but behalve this thread I couldn't find anything.

As I tweaked more arround I "fixed" the things that finally I decided to reinstall it (it's easy for me, as my home is on its own partition).
    After reinstalling Karmic it was still not working (as I'm still using the same home folder), but was able now to activate the "normal" visuals and gnome-do and notify are finally working again.

Maybe this can help to find a hint to fix this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast