Thread: Single core 1.7Ghz Centrino stuck at 600MHz?

Beans

Question Single core 1.7Ghz Centrino stuck at 600MHz?

Hi,

I'm been experiencing quite a slow performance on Ubuntu, specially on flash videos, and finally I discovered the it was not xorg or firefox or the ati driver but rather the cpu is stuck at 600MHz according to /proc/cpuinfo.

model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
    stepping : 6
    cpu MHz : 600.012

I had been experiencing sudden burst in performance for a while, and now I'm guessing that all of a sudden the cpu just "breaks free" and goes to full power for absolutely no reason, without my intervention. I'm waiting for this to happen again, but I'm pretty sure this is the problem.

I've been trying to fix it for a while but it's been quite difficult. I installed powernowd (success was reported here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134657), and running it says

Please make sure that:
    - That you have sysfs mounted /sys
    - That you have the core cpufreq and cpufreq-userspace
    modules loaded into your kernel

Which I don't by checking lsmod | grep cpu, and no wonder, because according to something I read the new ubuntu kernel has the cpufreq modules built-in. But something is indeed failing because running ls /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0 reveals

cpuidle crash_notes topology

The frequency part is missing.

Any input? Can I refer to any log for further info?

Thx in advance, I would really like to fix this thing... O_o
    Last edited by Cenoforums; May 12th, 2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: reference post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Single core 1.7Ghz Centrino stuck at 600MHz?

Hi, mine appears stuck on 798MHz although previously it was working. Because there was no response here, I've raised a bug in Launchpad. Please vote for it by clicking "This bug affects me too". This is most frustrating, my Dell Inspiron 9300 already has no 3D graphics due to lack of OpenGL drivers for my _premium_ graphics card - yes I paid for the better card and screen - now I'm also running at 1/2 speed! Hey, I guess that even with half power Ubuntu still runs smoothly so it isn't all bad - I'm sure it would cripple XP.

Bug #441169 URL:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/441169

If you can offer any solutions or workarounds then let me know!

Thanks, Richard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

edit
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; October 3rd, 2009 at 10:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you right click on a panel then add to panel there is a cpu controller add on. I think though not knowing the memory amount that it is more then just the low cpu that is making stuff slow. You might post what flash your using.

Beans

I kinda forgot about this thread.

For future reference, my problem was in the BIOS. Apparently, there are some frequency tables that are set by the BIOS for the kernel to read. Apparently, my BIOS wasn't doing that and the cpu was stuck at the lost frequency. A stupid workaround solved the issue.
    I have a old fujitsu siemens, so our problems are of a different kind :-\