Thread: Users and Groups Dialog Broken

Beans

Users and Groups Dialog Broken

Hello all, I've Googled this everyway I know how and haven't found an answer yet. Whenever I click on the unlock button in the Users and Groups dialog it freezes and tells me "Could not authenticate: An Unexpected error has occurred.

I did dig up enough to find the command line way of opening the dialog, so I tried:

sudo users-admin

which gave me this more detailed error:

** (users-admin:6956): CRITICAL **: Unable to lookup session information for process '6956'

For the sake of helping as much as I can, as near as I can tell it stopped working after installing ntfs-config and using that to have Ubuntu automount my NTFS partitions. I tried using Synaptic and reinstalled gnome-system-tools which I believe is the parent package for that dialog. I'm running Hardy with the x86 architecture. Anyone know what's breaking, or at least how to fix it?

Beans

Re: Users and Groups Dialog Broken

If you are getting to the unlock buttions you might be having a problem with dbus. ( a race condition w/ dbus and hal) see: polkit hell

basically reschedule hal startup to be after dbus startup.

Beans

OK, by running 'ls -al /etc/rc2.d' as suggested on that thread you posted, I can see that hal has a 13 and dbus a 14, so you were correct. However, when I try using bum as the other thread did, dbus reports as 12 and hal 24. How do I manually change the symlink for hal to, say, 15 so it doesn't start before dbus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I, got the same error message when attempting to unlock Users and Groups; and got very similar error with sudo users-admin (and was still unable to edit user settings).
    The solution for me was

Applications => Accessories => Terminal
    When the terminal window appears type:
    $ passwd

after being prompted to change my password I was able to properly unlock Users and Groups.