Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx development suggestions, what we want to see!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Ubuntu Lucid Lynx development suggestions, what we want to see!

So I thought I'd take some time out and post this thread as I believe as a user of Ubuntu for some years the strongest part about Ubuntu is the community!

Post your suggestions & opinions about what you'd like to see in the next LTS release of Ubuntu - Lucid Lynx (10.04)

---

["Dust" theme as default theme]-I personally think the brown theme is awful and the first thing I do is change the theme to mist and set a different background! I know I'm not alone! I think this would make people more likely to pick up the OS if it has a nicer colour scheme.

[An Ubuntu IM Network]-With Ubuntu One file hosting availiable to us I think the next step would be an Ubuntu messaging network to compete with the likes of MSN and AIM. A client for Ubuntu itself along with a client for windows and mac hosts. File sharing faster than the MSN network. (Capped at 5kb/s) A network where it will be able to be connected to via unofficial clients such as pidgin and empathy.

[Mozilla Thunderbird as default mail client!]-I personally think that Thunderbird is much easier to grasp for the new user.

[Ubuntu Software Centre - Splash]
    -A splash screen showing the most useful apps like Wine, Flash Player and such with the option to install them for new users who have switched from Windows.
    -KVarley
    -Proud member of the Linux Foundation

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx development suggestions, what we want to see!

They did not deliver on most of their own promises and 99,999999% of the ideas on ubuntubrainstorm were ignored... what makes you think any of your or our ideas would get through?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by vitium View Post
    [An Ubuntu IM Network]-With Ubuntu One file hosting availiable to us I think the next step would be an Ubuntu messaging network to compete with the likes of MSN and AIM. A client for Ubuntu itself along with a client for windows and mac hosts. File sharing faster than the MSN network. (Capped at 5kb/s) A network where it will be able to be connected to via unofficial clients such as pidgin and empathy.
    What for ?

We don't need yet another protocol. Just use Jabber. It's supported by most (if not every) multi-protocol and/or multi-platform IM applications and already in wide use.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans
    Distro

I'm just throwing ideas out there and getting other people's ideas of what they think needs improving.

I am meerly starting conversation.
    -KVarley

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mornedhel View Post
    What for ?

We don't need yet another protocol. Just use Jabber. It's supported by most (if not every) multi-protocol and/or multi-platform IM applications and already in wide use.
    Fair point I just thought maybe it'd be easier for new users if their was an official network with public directory listings.
    -KVarley

Beans
    Hidden!

["Dust" theme as default theme]-I personally think the brown theme is awful and the first thing I do is change the theme to mist and set a different background! I know I'm not alone! I think this would make people more likely to pick up the OS if it has a nicer colour scheme.
    Brown will never leave Ubuntu, its part of the brand itself. He said it in 2004 (you can read it on the ubuntu wiki)... they will NEVER remove the brown... they might only make it a bit less... (e.g. a bit of fade here and there)... like they're doing now in comparison to ubuntu 4.10

I would be a good idea if Ubuntu actually had a very large userbase (e.g. windows)... but with the current 99999999999 IMs, I don't think anyone is waiting for another one.

[Ubuntu Software Centre - Splash][/B]-A splash screen showing the most useful apps like Wine, Flash Player and such with the option to install them for new users who have switched from Windows.
    Like what KDE does for firefox right? i guess that would be nice... but there are more important things I think they should focus on... like nuking the brown in Ubuntu, or coming with something amazing looking brown theme...

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The next one is for servers. They are going to focus on making it appealing to network admins, not the home-user-base.

Beans
    Distro

@Pasdar Yes, I agree, it's a shame that they won't change the brown theme really because I think it puts so many people who don't use the OS off. If I show them Ubuntu with dust or another theme then they get pulled in.
    -KVarley

skotos is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It might be useful to have an applet to interactively choose the X profile.
    Laptop users as well as netbook users may/might in fact run 2+ X server layouts: the first for the LCD display only, while the second for the external and often wider LCD or the TV...
    Registered GNU/Linux user: 232677
    Definitely moving to GNU/Linux made me trust Computer Science again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. An Ubuntu chat client? We already have Empathy installed by default and Pidgin, probably the most popular open source IM program, in the repositories along with at least a dozen others. Why try to reinvent the wheel? I think this effort could be spend much better elsewhere.

[Mozilla Thunderbird as default mail client!]-I personally think that Thunderbird is much easier to grasp for the new user.
    [B]
    This will probably never happen. Gnome has an official Email client, Evolution. Ubuntu tries to stick with upstream Gnome as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasdar View Post
    They did not deliver on most of their own promises and 99,999999% of the ideas on ubuntubrainstorm were ignored... what makes you think any of your or our ideas would get through?
    You do realize how many ideas are on brainstorm, or how many are not ideas at all but bug reports in the wrong place, or how many are simply not possible to implement?
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast