Thread: Nexbie: problems with sudo - user not in the sudoers file

Beans

Nexbie: problems with sudo - user not in the sudoers file

Hi All

I'm a complete newbie as I've just installed Xubuntu 9.04 on my PS3, and I have no experience with any open source software.

Anyways, the installation went fine - no problems. I logged in for the first time - no problem.

When i try to perform almost any task, I'm met by a box where I'm suppose to type my password. I do, and the result is:

Failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic as user root.

The underlying authorization mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run this program. Contact the system administrator.

I've been looking around a bit and it seems there might be problem with my sudoers file? When I in the terminal type "sudo synaptic" or any other sudo command, I type my password and the result is:

adameliaz is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

I've not edited this file - dont know how to.

Typing "groups" in the terminal:

adameliaz cdrom audio admin

Any help appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nexbie: problems with sudo - user not in the sudoers file

Did you double post on purpose? Just a tip, if it were an accident, understood, but if you were in a hurry and wondering why you hadn't yet gotten any responses, it's because the right person hasn't read your post yet. Notice I said yet, we are all volunteers and do our best, if I knew the answer I would have already replied, but didn't so decided to wait for someone more knowledgeable to come by and either answer or suggest a beginning to troubleshooting. Rule of thumb on this (and most forums that are similar) give your post about 24 hours (especially because this is such an international community) and if you have yet to get a response, just reply to your own post with the word "bump" in it and that will put it back at the top of the line. Try not to use 'bump' more than once, or maybe twice after 2 days, but hang in there and I am fairly confident that you will get the help you need. Also, please don't take this as me being rude, just a friendly tip for these forums, as impatient people are not my favorites ( I don't want to speak for the whole community) and patience will get you better results and overall forum karma (that last bit is just my opinion). Keep it up and I wish you the best of luck, I am sure you will have an answer soon.
    Earl S. Sharp----------------------------------------
    Ubuntu User # 27653 |Linux user # 491157 | LPI # 183649
    Please mark threads as solved...

Beans

Yeah, i'm sry. Actually I tried to move the thread to absolute beginners talk and accidently double posted. Thx for the bump tip. I'm also new at the whole forum game - so thx again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not a problem at all, I will say that this is the friendliest forum (especially when it comes to technical type forums) that you will find, I was not trying to mean in any way, just trying to "show you the ropes" (goodness, what a horrible cliche). Anyway, Welcome and I would definitely look around and read a lot as that is how I have learned and there are plenty of friendly and really knowledgeable people here that are willing to help. Good Luck and Have Fun.
    Earl S. Sharp----------------------------------------
    Ubuntu User # 27653 |Linux user # 491157 | LPI # 183649
    Please mark threads as solved...