Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a few people test a Karmic installation guide for the svn MPlayer?

Beans

Can a few people test a Karmic installation guide for the svn MPlayer?

Hi,

Looks like Karmic will be out soon so could I please have a few people test the following guide for the svn MPlayer under Karmic? There are a few new ideas there that I would appreciate some extra eyes on:

================================================== ================
    Howto: Improve the 'mplayer-nogui' package under Karmic Koala
    ================================================== ================

Over the last few years I have written several guides for the installation of the development version of MPlayer under Ubuntu. This particular version of that long series of guides is intended to bring the benefits of the cutting edge svn MPlayer to users of Karmic Koala by concentrating on upgrading the mplayer-nogui package. I should mention at this time that the mplayer-nogui package from the Karmic Repository is an immense improvement over packages seen in previous versions of Ubuntu and if the information below looks a little too much you will still be well served by simply installing the repository package. This guide is perhaps for those who want a little more...

============================
    Some requirements...
    ============================

There is a little preparation work required before we actually lay hands on the MPlayer application and this will probably take about 30 minutes and involve a download of about 100 megabytes of extra software. First then for some necessary software:

------------------------
    Required tools:
    ------------------------

Some compiling will be required for this guide so we will be downloading some compiling sotware as well as software to access subversion and git repositories and finally the utility checkinstall which will be used to keep the installation within the Ubuntu package management system. Copy the following and paste into a Terminal window, exclude the '$' marks which among other things demonstrates a new line of commands in this guide:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.3 g++-4.3 subversion checkinstall
    Next to collect some development files:

---------------------------
    Development files:
    ---------------------------

MPlayer works by automatically gathering functionality from various development files installed on your computer. The following list of files has been winnowed out from the standard sudo apt-get build-dep mplayer-nogui command in the interests of maintaining a cleaner system:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install ladspa-sdk libaa1-dev libasound2-dev libatk1.0-dev \
    libaudio-dev libaudio2 libaudiofile-dev libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev \
    libcaca-dev libcairo2-dev libcdparanoia-dev libcelt0 libdbus-1-dev libdc1394-22 \
    libdca-dev libdca0 libdirectfb-dev libdirectfb-extra libdts-dev libesd0-dev \
    libexpat1-dev  libffado1 libfontconfig1-dev libfreebob0 libfreetype6-dev \
    libfribidi-dev libgif-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglib2.0-dev libglu1-mesa-dev \
    libgsm1 libgtk2.0-dev libice-dev libjack-dev libjack0 libjpeg62-dev liblzo2-2 \
    liblzo2-dev libmail-sendmail-perl libncurses5-dev libogg-dev liboil0.3-dev \
    libopenal-dev libopenal1 libpango1.0-dev libpixman-1-dev libpng12-dev \
    libpthread-stubs0 libpthread-stubs0-dev libpulse-dev libruby1.8 \
    libschroedinger-dev libsdl1.2-dev libslang2-dev libsm-dev libsmbclient-dev \
    libspeex-dev libsvga1 libsvga1-dev libsys-hostname-long-perl libsysfs-dev \
    libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev libvorbisidec-dev libvorbisidec1 libx11-dev libxau-dev \
    libxcb-render-util0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb1-dev libxcomposite-dev \
    libxcursor-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxft-dev \
    libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxml++2.6-2 libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxt-dev \
    libxv-dev libxvidcore4 libxvidcore4-dev libxvmc-dev libxxf86dga-dev libxxf86vm-dev \
    mesa-common-dev vstream-client-dev x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-core-dev \
    x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev \
    x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xext-dev \
    x11proto-xf86dga-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev xtrans-dev \
    zlib1g-dev libopencore-amrwb-dev libopencore-amrnb-dev
    This guide does not deal with vdpau so if you have an appropriate NVidia graphics card you will need to now add in the necessary development files to enable vdpau output from MPlayer, no extra ./configure flags are necessary as MPlayer will pick up these files automagically. We will also add another useful packages here, a current set of Live555 libraries to enable playback of some streaming audio:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove liblivemedia-dev
    $ cd $HOME
    $ wget http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/live555-latest.tar.gz
    $ tar xvf live555-latest.tar.gz
    $ cd live
    $ ./genMakefiles linux
    $ make
    $ sudo cp -r $HOME/live /usr/lib
    These libraries are in constant development so come back here from time to time to repeat the process and pick up the updated libraries. Or if you have no interest in streaming audio simply omit this step, many streams will be processed natively by MPlayer anyway.

Next however to install a codec package:

-------------
    Codecs:
    -------------

MPlayer has the ability to use and external library of codecs to playback some media files. Conveniently Medibuntu holds these files and I would suggest that you now read over the following page and enable the Medibuntu repository for Karmic Koala:

Medibuntu - Community Ubuntu Documentation
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Once this is in place users of a 32bit system will need to run the following:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install w32codecs
    while users of a 64bit system will need to run the following instead:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install w64codecs
    Now that all of this is done it is time to actually lay hands on the MPlayer files themselves:

==============================
    Downloading & Compiling
    ==============================

The development version of MPlayer is held in a subversion repository that allows read access by users, which is to say that you can download files from the repository but not alter files in this repository. To download our copy of the MPlayer files the following commands are required:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME
    $ svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
    Now to compile and install the source code, especially note the use of gcc-4.3 in this command. The MPlayer developers believe that there are a few issues compiling under gcc-4.4.1 which is the default under Karmic. If you wish to use gcc-4.4.1 anyway simply omit --cc=gcc-4.3 and cross your fingers while compiling:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME/mplayer
    $ ./configure --cc=gcc-4.3 --confdir=/etc/mplayer --disable-mencoder
    $ make
    $ sudo checkinstall -D --install=yes --fstrans=no --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" \
       --pkgname mplayer-nogui --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default \
       --pkgversion "3:1.0~svn-`grep "#define VERSION" version.h | cut -d"-" -f2`"
    $ make distclean
    And that just about does it for mplayer-nogui. It is best to now leave $HOME/mplayer undisturbed as you can return at a later date to run the command svn up to download the latest changes in the MPlayer source code and then recompile. And I wish you all the best with your improved copy of Karmic Koala's mplayer-nogui!

===========================
    Some Resources...
    ===========================

• MPlayer-users MPlayer mailing list for usage questions, feature requests, bug reports. I would advise lurking for while on this list before posting, breaches of posting etiquette are dealt with harshly at times.
    • MPlayer - The Movie Player The html documentation for MPlayer. Usually kept up to date and well worth reading if problems arise and certainly will need to be read before requesting help on MPlayer-users.
    • MPlayer FAQs This page attempts to list all of the frequent questions from the #mplayer irc channel on irc.freenode.net.
    • Top 10 Tricks and Tips for the svn MPlayer A guide on the Ubuntu Forums that demonstrates some of the magic that can be accomplished with the commandline MPlayer. Written by the author of this guide.
    Last edited by andrew.46; October 24th, 2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: More editing....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: Can a few people test a Karmic installation guide for the svn MPlayer?

On closer examination 2 gcc versions should not be a problem. Looks like a default installation has a 'gcc' soft-link to gcc-4.4.1, both in /usr/bin while gcc-4.3 sits quietly in /usr/bin waiting for a specific call, such as I have made in this guide.

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

WIth regards to the wXXcodecs, you could do this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install w$(getconf LONG_BIT)codecs
    This is 32/64 bit compatible, since the getconf LONG_BIT will actually tell you whether the system is 32/64 bit.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had a few problems getting the codecs to install. When trying to install from the Medibuntu repo:
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org karmic Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783
    And when trying to install the w64codecs_20071007-0medibuntu2_amd64.deb file manually:
    dpkg: unable to read filedescriptor flags for <package status and progress file descriptor>: Bad file descriptor
    From the same page you can get the source file though:
    w64codecs_20071007.orig.tar.gz

Extract it, and copy the 3 .so files to /usr/local/lib/codecs/, as written in the corresponding README file. In my case I first had to create the folder:
    sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/codecs/

And then, from within the extraction folder:
    sudo cp *.so /usr/local/lib/codecs/

When following the guide, I initially was confused about the line:
    It is best to leave $HOME/mplayer undisturbed as you can return at a later date to run the command 'svn up' to download the latest changes in the MPlayer source code.
    Because next thing to do is actually make changes to $HOME/mplayer. Perhaps you could add something like "After compilation is done, it is best ...". Yeah, I know I'm dense

Anyway, mplayer compiled fine, and it appears to work fine too, but I haven't thrown all media-formats at it yet.

Thanks for the guide!

edit: The install problems are related to this bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...te/+bug/388953
    Last edited by happyhamster; October 2nd, 2009 at 04:11 PM.

Beans

Only minor difference noticed off of a configure is when using gcc-4.3 that autodection is not quite as good.
    The most notable would be a live555 installed to /usr/lib/live, gcc-4.3 fails to find. gcc-4.4 will detect

Beans

Hi slakkie,

Quote Originally Posted by slakkie View Post
    WIth regards to the wXXcodecs, you could do this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install w$(getconf LONG_BIT)codecs
    Thanks for that idea!!

Andrew

Beans

Hi happyhamster,

Quote Originally Posted by happyhamster View Post
    I had a few problems getting the codecs to install.
    I will admit that it is my normal practice to place these codecs manually and to download the entire pack from MPlayer itself, in part to avoid some of the errors that come from a Medibuntu installation. But in the interests of a more 'user-friendly' guide I have gone the Medibuntu way...

When following the guide, I initially was confused about the line:

Because next thing to do is actually make changes to $HOME/mplayer. Perhaps you could add something like "After compilation is done, it is best ...".
    Good point, I have altered the sequence a little so it makes more sense.

Thanks for the guide!
    Thanks for testing it out . After the release of Karmic I will be placing it in the 'Tutorials and Tips' section.

All the best,

Andrew

Beans

Hi mc4man,

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Only minor difference noticed off of a configure is when using gcc-4.3 that autodection is not quite as good.
    The most notable would be a live555 installed to /usr/lib/live, gcc-4.3 fails to find. gcc-4.4 will detect
    You have noticed of course that I have omitted the libopencore-amr, Live555, x264 and mencoder material. I am hoping that a lesser level of complication will allow more people to successfully get a working copy. More advanced users can then add what they please.

Seems odd as regards the live555 libraries, slackware 13.0 uses gcc 4.3.3 wih no detection problems, I shall investigate on Karmic. Have you had trouble with usage of MPlayer compiled with gcc-4.4.1? I see that there have been some big problems elsewhere:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/000626.html

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; October 2nd, 2009 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Why do you disable mencoder in that configure command? :S

Beans

I normally don't use mplayer but, since I find the latest changes to Totem somewhat unpalatable, I'd like to give this a try once the Ubuntu servers free up a bit.

I do have a couple of questions though:

(1)If I install it how do I remove it?

(2)Will this work with the smplayer front-end? Other front-ends?

(3)Does this also automatically install the mozilla mplayer plugin? (I'd dislike that because I'm quite happy with vlc and totem in their current configuration).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast