Thread: Update ffmpeg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Update ffmpeg

How can i update ffmpeg to the latest version?

i already have it installed.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Update ffmpeg

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post

thank u so very much for writing such an awesome article. but can i delete the ffmpeg and x264 folders (under home directory) which have been created? they're consuming around 300mb.

also when i try to use winff the converter, then i get an error message saying i need to install ffplay. why is that? i thought i had installed all ffmpeg packs.
    Last edited by arnab_das; September 28th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Beans

Hi arnab,

Quote Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post
    thank u so very much for writing such an awesome article. but can i delete the ffmpeg and x264 folders (under home directory) which have been created? they're consuming around 300mb.
    I can answer at least part of your question . It is an excellent idea to keep these 2 folders so that both can be updated easily. Have a look at this section of FakeOutdoorsman's guide:

Updating Your Installation
    You may eventually want to update to the newest revisions of FFmpeg and x264 if there are any major developments or changes:
    which details this procedure. Personally I update x264, FFmpeg and MPlayer every week and it is well worthwhile doing for the extra functionality gained.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post
    also when i try to use winff the converter, then i get an error message saying i need to install ffplay. why is that? i thought i had installed all ffmpeg packs.
    If you compiled your own ffmpeg (and ffplay) the path to it might be different than the default. In the options -> Settings -> Linux menu you can specify the path to it.
    Paul Gevers
    WinFF maintainer in Ubuntu and Debian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by paul.gevers View Post
    If you compiled your own ffmpeg (and ffplay) the path to it might be different than the default. In the options -> Settings -> Linux menu you can specify the path to it.
    that i believe is exactly the case. apparently my ffmpeg and ffplay is now in /home/user

so i changed the paths of ffmpeg executable and ffplay. (without changing the terminal pathway) its working properly now. but since i did it manually, i still am in doubt if i did the right thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Fixing WinFF 1.1 path to ffplay

I've had the same problem - compiled ffmpeg as per the excellent HowTo. So much better, but WinFF says it 'could not find ffplay'.

My ffplay and ffmpeg ended up in /usr/local/bin/ which I determined running the command 'locate ffplay'.

I also have WinFF 1.1 which is the latest but gotten from the WinFF project private repo as per their instructions at the project web page. To change the pat to ffmpeg and ffplay, you go to Edit | Preferences | Linux, which is different from the above mention procedure.

Now it seems to work again. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Fixing WinFF 1.1 path to ffplay

Quote Originally Posted by ArtInvent View Post
    To change the pat to ffmpeg and ffplay, you go to Edit | Preferences | Linux, which is different from the above mention procedure.
    This is indeed the procedure that I meant. Sorry, the first one was from the top of my head and clearly I got it wrong.
    Paul Gevers
    WinFF maintainer in Ubuntu and Debian.