Thread: #mount error mount: wrong fs type... etc.

Threaded View

Beans

#mount error mount: wrong fs type... etc.

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find out the filesystem of my raid5 server. I have 3 of the 4 disks, which fdisk tells me is functioning properly. I have finally recreated my raid5 by using the Live Bootable CD and this:

Code:
    #mdadm --assemble --scan -f
    After doing so I had created the filesystem which is /dev/md0 and also the data volume which is /dev/md2. I can look around the filesystem and such however I cannot access the data volume. I know where the mount point of the data should be, which is /media/disk. In my file browser I am able to see the drive, but I cannot open it. All it says is "Software RAID Drive". I need to access this drive in order to recover some data I have lost.

I didn't make this raid5, WD did. It came from a NAS which creates its own RAID5 through linux. I knew this because in my quest to restore this thing, I used countless windows programs and all told me that this had an ext3 filesystem.

So I tried multiple things:

Code:
    #mount /dev/md2 /media/disk/shares
    #mount -t ext3 /dev/md2 /media/disk/shares
    #mount -t ntfs /dev/md2 /media/disk/shares
    #mount -t xfs /dev/md2 /media/disk/shares
    Each will give me the error:

Code:
    wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog -try dmesg | tail or so
    dmesg told me that they couldn't apply any of the filesystems to the Raid5 data volume. Also fdisk -l shows me this as well:

Code:
    Disk /dev/md2 doesn't contain a valid partition table
    I'm really having a very difficult time with this. If anyone has any ideas, please contact me at hong.sunpyo@gmail.com or post here. Thanks.
    Last edited by sunpyo; September 15th, 2009 at 11:06 PM.