First off i want to give an early thanks to ubuntu forums and everyone who is a member of the ubuntu comunity, ive never felt so "at home" with an operating system, which is weird to say but true. You guys are great. Moving onto my problem...
I was watching a video on youtube, i left the computer for a short period of time and when i returned my acer aspire 3000 was playing the audio from the video but the screen was inactive, i of course tried moving the mouse clicking, typing and it was to no avail i eventually manually shutdown the system expecting a problem free reboot which would allow me to restore my previous session of firefox and let me continue with what i was doing, unfortunately everything but that happened. when ubuntu was booted up and ready to roll the wireless connection indicator in the upper right hand part of the screen indicated that there was no wireless connections, so i proceeded to click upon it assuming that perhaps i needed to retype my wep key and what not, but it sow no options for wireless network, so i thought perhaps for some reason the indicator was wrong and i had internet that just wasnt registering, i went on firefox and to my surprise i easily booted into the basic google homepage, but trying to navigate away from the home page was unsuccessful. So i restarted and hoped that it would work then, but it didnt the same thing happened, so i went ahead and looked through some preferences without changing anything and i couldnt find anything wrong. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for my broadcom wireless card, that didnt help either. Long story short, i ended up reinstalling ubuntu, i would like to avoid this from happening again, any ideas as to what might have happened??? thanks in advance - Phil