Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Remote server as Windows mapped drive

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    25

    Remote server as Windows mapped drive

    How can I map a shared folder on my ubuntu server at home as a drive on my windows machine at work?

    I have no problem mapping at home using
    Code:
    \\server_dhcp_address\shared_folder
    but when I try
    Code:
    \\home_ip_address\shared_folder
    it fails.

    What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In my own little world...
    Beans
    320
    Distro
    Lubuntu

    Re: Remote server as Windows mapped drive

    Is your server at home behind a router? If so, you you have the proper ports forwarded?
    Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!
    Adventures In Linux

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Remote server as Windows mapped drive

    Before you start thinking about forwarding ports, please consider that samba is NOT safe to forward across the internet.

    You should consider setting up a VPN so you can connect from work.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    25

    Re: Remote server as Windows mapped drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Watts View Post
    Is your server at home behind a router? If so, you you have the proper ports forwarded?
    Ports 22 and 80 are forwarded to the server.
    I can connect to my server from work with Filezilla and Putty.

    I'm working on my thesis from home and work and it's a pain trying to synch the files all the time so I want to work on the same file from both places.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    25

    Re: Remote server as Windows mapped drive

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Before you start thinking about forwarding ports, please consider that samba is NOT safe to forward across the internet.

    You should consider setting up a VPN so you can connect from work.
    OK. should I unforward port 80?

    Will VPN allow me to mount my home server folder from so I can have MATLAB, LaTex, etc. work directly on files on my home server?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    89

    Re: Remote server as Windows mapped drive

    If your home router is already forwarding port 22 to your home server, then presumably you can already ssh into your home server from work. That being the case, you can probably use ssh port forwarding to get to Samba on your home server; you probably don't need a full blown VPN. Have a look at this:

    http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/smboverssh.php

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Remote server as Windows mapped drive

    Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post
    OK. should I unforward port 80?
    Most likely ... yes. Unless you plan to host a website. Port 80 is for www.

    Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post
    Will VPN allow me to mount my home server folder from so I can have MATLAB, LaTex, etc. work directly on files on my home server?
    Yes

    Edit:
    This is probably a less complicated solution ...
    Quote Originally Posted by flabdablet View Post
    If your home router is already forwarding port 22 to your home server, then presumably you can already ssh into your home server from work. That being the case, you can probably use ssh port forwarding to get to Samba on your home server; you probably don't need a full blown VPN. Have a look at this:

    http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/smboverssh.php

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •