Thread: Firefox crashes computer (badly).

Beans
    Hidden!

Firefox crashes computer (badly).

I just did a fresh install of Jaunty, upgraded and then surfed online for a bit, went to a few pages, no problems. All of a sudden my Pangolin (Pan4p?) has firefox go grey, I cannot force kill it and I cannot shut down the machine. I'm forced to reboot the computer which corrupts the /home partition.

I've reinstalled twice so I'm a little annoyed about it, if I can't find an answer, just going to put Intrepid back on and hope it's not subject to the same bug.

It doesn't happen if I don't upgrade (which puts in .14 kernel and .18 firefox)
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Firefox crashes computer (badly).

Try running...

firefox

,,,from a terminal and see what errors you get when it freezes.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!

segmentation fault, no error beyond that. That's when it fully crashes, when it doesn't and just hangs there causing the computer mass failure, never gotten an error message
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Hidden!

Back to 8.10, will see if same problem occurs.

Edit: Well, I haven't had it crash yet and if I was using 9.04, I'd be reinstalling by this point.

Looks like it's a Jaunty specific bug for my computer only since no one else seems to have it

Last Edit: Okay, this is officially a Jaunty bug, not happened once in 8.10 since I switched back. Looks like I'm skipping a version
    Last edited by betrunkenaffe; August 26th, 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: save post