Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Mount Script

Beans

Exclamation USB Mount Script

I wondered if someone could possibly help

Basically, I wondered if there was a chance of being able to run a script as soon as a usb flash disk was inserted into the machine?

I know this sounds like a virus creation tool.. but its not.

A system running M$ windows has been infected by a USB virus, in which it latches files onto the removable media as soon as it is inserted. once that stick is introduced onto another system, that system then becomes infected.

so, im thinking it's going to contain a line like

avgscan /media/disk1

but thats as far as i got

I thought about using Cron, but obviously, thats going to have to be a scheduled task.

Any ideas?! I've had to Ban USB sticks in my house!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: USB Mount Script

No idea really, but I'm interested in doing something similar, so I'll stay subscribed to the thread.
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB
    Use a Dell E-Latitude? | I lost The Game

Beans

Quick bump as still lacking the solution!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: USB Flash Drive Mount Detection Script

I don't have the actual code for you, just an idea. How about a script with a looping structure that periodically checks for the existence of the mounted flash drive in /media and then acts accordingly. Not a very graceful solution but it ought to work. Technically you could do it with cron too but you'd be limited to checking at most once per minute with the possibility of a lag between insertion and discovery of up to a minute which may be too late for your purposes.

Ideally you are looking for an event which is triggered upon insertion of a USB flash drive and that can be intercepted. I'm not aware of one but there probably is something like that deep in Ubuntu's bowels.

BTW, are you concerned about a virus that has embedded itself in the flash drive via Windows infecting your Ubuntu system? Because that's just not going to happen. I, like many others don't even run an antivirus program in Ubuntu and it lives peacefully right alongside a Windows Vista installation.

tgeer

p.s. Note the title of my reply. It more accurately describes what you are looking for and is more likely to elicit a proper response. You may want to consider editing the title in your original post. As it reads now, it looks like you're searching for a script to mount a USB drive rather than to detect its insertion.
    "Programming is an art form that fights back."

HP Pavillion DV9500T 17" Notebook • 2.2GHz Core2 Duo • 4GB RAM • Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS 512MB
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 [64-bit]+Gnome+Compiz from HD / Puppy Linux 4.2.1SMP in RAM from USB Flash

Beans

have you guys heard of google?

bash-script-detect-list-usb-flash-drives.html

Beans

and after some modifications:

#!/bin/bash

for DEV in /sys/block/sd*
    do

if readlink $DEV | grep -q usb ;then
    DEV=`basename $DEV`
    if [ -d /sys/block/${DEV}/${DEV}1 ] ;then
    echo $DEV
    echo "Has partitions " /sys/block/$DEV/$DEV[0-9]*
    MOUNT=`df | grep $DEV | awk '{print $6}'`
    echo scanning $MOUNT
    clamscan $MOUNT
    #else
    # echo "Has no partitions"
    fi
    echo
    fi
    done
    im having some problems with this script detecting a phantom usb device (/dev/sde), where nothing is mounted, and i dont know why. after i solve that i can make it run on a loop
    Last edited by Johnny B; August 14th, 2009 at 01:41 AM.

Beans

getting better, but still testing, how long do files in /tmp last?

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

function scan {
    for DEV in /sys/block/sd*
    do
    	if readlink $DEV | grep -q usb ;then
    		DEV=`basename $DEV`
    		if [ -d /sys/block/${DEV}/${DEV}1 ] ;then
    			if [ ! -f /tmp/$DEV.lockfile ] ;then
    				echo $DEV > /tmp/clamscan
    				echo "Has partitions " /sys/block/$DEV/$DEV[0-9]* >> /tmp/clamscan
    				MOUNT=`df | grep $DEV | awk '{print $6}'`
    				echo scanning $MOUNT >> /tmp/clamscan
    				clamscan -r  --infected $MOUNT >> /tmp/clamscan
    				touch /tmp/$DEV.lockfile
    				zenity --info --text="`cat /tmp/clamscan`"
    			#else
    				#echo " /tmp/$DEV.lockfile exists"
    			fi
    		#else
    		#	echo "Has no partitions"
    		fi
    		#echo
    	fi
    done }

while true ;do scan ;done
    Last edited by Johnny B; August 14th, 2009 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Here is an account of how to get Ubuntu to automatically run a backup script when a USB drive has been plugged into the machine.
    You can obviously substitute any script you want in place of the backup script:

http://ninetynine.be/blog/2009/03/ub...rive-on-mount/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

kg87,

If you're still having problems after trying all of the above then post back here or send me a message. I've got another way of doing it that's easy and pretty bulletproof. Unfortunately I've got pressing matters at the moment so I'll give you the info only if you need it.

tgeer
    "Programming is an art form that fights back."

HP Pavillion DV9500T 17" Notebook • 2.2GHz Core2 Duo • 4GB RAM • Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS 512MB
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 [64-bit]+Gnome+Compiz from HD / Puppy Linux 4.2.1SMP in RAM from USB Flash

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    Here is an account of how to get Ubuntu to automatically run a backup script when a USB drive has been plugged into the machine.
    You can obviously substitute any script you want in place of the backup script:

http://ninetynine.be/blog/2009/03/ub...rive-on-mount/
    Ok, the issue with this script is that im presuming you've got to edit the udev for each individual usb stick. Now that would be great if they were all the same, But i have at least 7-8 sticks, which to me looks like a lot of editing! (im shy, or lazy...)_

Johnny B, your script looks very promising, however, im presuming this would have to be manually executed each time a device was inserted?!

tgeer43, I am not worried about windows virii and cross contamination, but i dont trust the propriatry AV that my family are using on their pc's (Mcafee..) The Ubuntu machine is primarily a sheepdip test, and my main machine

I've given this some thought, and thinking on a sublinear plane.
    Would it make it easy to disable automount of usb, and only allow it if the user executed a script?

Once again, Thanks for the support guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast