Thread: Lame presets/settings

Beans
    Hidden!

Lame presets/settings

Recently, I've started ripping CDs to MP3 instead of my usual FLAC, for sharing purposes. I've been using EAC, and my Lame options are '-V 2 --vbr-new %s %d', so my target bit rate is 190-210kbps. In EAC, my bit rate option is set to 192kbps, but I was under the impression that that didn't matter (since I have a custom command). Either way, it's within my target range. Fast forward. I was listening to one of those ripped MP3s in foobar2000 and got kind of curious as to why it didn't sound as bad as my other 190-210kbps MP3s did. I checked the bit rate as it was playing and they averaged 250-300kbps, sometimes jumping to 320kbps. I then went and opened the folder in Mr MusicMan (an audio identifying program) and the only song anywhere near my target bit rate was the first song, averaging 189kbps. The rest were 260+. I've only checked this one CD (Valley of the Damned by Dragonforce) but I'm still curious as to why that happened. I don't do this stuff a whole lot so I don't know how Lame handles presets, but my only guess is that because the last 8 songs of the CD have a lot more "going on" in them (the first song is 13 seconds of feedback mostly) the bit rate was higher to keep them sounding good. But again, I have no idea. And if you're wondering why this is all one paragraph, my Enter button just stopped working in Firefox. I don't know.
    arch 2008.06
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 | Asus Maximus II Formula | EVGA 8800GT Superclocked | 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 | Zalman ZM600-HP

Beans

Re: Lame presets/settings

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Recently, I've started ripping CDs to MP3 instead of my usual FLAC, for sharing purposes. I've been using EAC, and my Lame options are '-V 2 --vbr-new %s %d', so my target bit rate is 190-210kbps. In EAC, my bit rate option is set to 192kbps, but I was under the impression that that didn't matter (since I have a custom command). Either way, it's within my target range. Fast forward. I was listening to one of those ripped MP3s in foobar2000 and got kind of curious as to why it didn't sound as bad as my other 190-210kbps MP3s did. I checked the bit rate as it was playing and they averaged 250-300kbps, sometimes jumping to 320kbps. I then went and opened the folder in Mr MusicMan (an audio identifying program) and the only song anywhere near my target bit rate was the first song, averaging 189kbps. The rest were 260+. I've only checked this one CD (Valley of the Damned by Dragonforce) but I'm still curious as to why that happened. I don't do this stuff a whole lot so I don't know how Lame handles presets, but my only guess is that because the last 8 songs of the CD have a lot more "going on" in them (the first song is 13 seconds of feedback mostly) the bit rate was higher to keep them sounding good. But again, I have no idea. And if you're wondering why this is all one paragraph, my Enter button just stopped working in Firefox. I don't know.
    http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....act_Audio_Copy
    http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....e=EAC_and_Lame

Beans
    Hidden!

Right... But neither of those explain why my -V2 MP3s have a bit rate of 260+kbps.
    arch 2008.06
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 | Asus Maximus II Formula | EVGA 8800GT Superclocked | 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 | Zalman ZM600-HP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Right... But neither of those explain why my -V2 MP3s have a bit rate of 260+kbps.
    Well, other than that I'm out of ideas. You might want to ask at the HA forums anyway, since the people there would likely know exactly what's up.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by linsux View Post
    Well, other than that I'm out of ideas. You might want to ask at the HA forums anyway, since the people there would likely know exactly what's up.
    That's where I figured I'd end up, since I'm using Windows-only programs, but I thought I'd try here first.
    arch 2008.06