Thread: Trouble ejecting/unmounting cdroms

Beans

Trouble ejecting/unmounting cdroms

when attempting to eject cdrom (mounted or unmounted) by right clicking and selecting eject from either Nautilus or the volume icon I get one of the following erros:

Cannot unmount volume an application is preventing the volume from being unmounted.

DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed: An operation is already pending

I can unmount or eject the cdrom from the CLI.

This just started happening. I had lot of cdrom mounts and unmounts prior to this occurring.

I tried a google search but was unable to find out why this is happening or how to resolve the issue.

Beans

[SOLVED] Trouble ejecting/unmounting cdroms

Quote Originally Posted by bowens44 View Post
    when attempting to eject cdrom (mounted or unmounted) by right clicking and selecting eject from either Nautilus or the volume icon I get one of the following erros:

Cannot unmount volume an application is preventing the volume from being unmounted.

DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed: An operation is already pending

I can unmount or eject the cdrom from the CLI.

This just started happening. I had lot of cdrom mounts and unmounts prior to this occurring.

I tried a google search but was unable to find out why this is happening or how to resolve the issue.
    Ok, I found the solution right after I posted this.

I deleted /media/.hal-mtab now everything is working properly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] Trouble ejecting/unmounting cdroms

deleting that file didnt work for me,
    even from cli i cant eject.
    it asks me to switch to another user (less privliege) and then eject.
    and it works

any idea how to solve?

Beans

Re: Trouble ejecting/unmounting cdroms

I found the following post when I was searching for a fix on how to unmound a cell phone icon from my desk top after I failed to unmount before I exited from Ubuntu. I am using my roommate's computer and both of us are newer than newbies when it comes to working on Linux. The post following the one I've copied/pasted below said that it worked but I don't have any idea what they're talking about. Can somebody put the following in plain English for me? I would really appreciate it. Cheers.

Actually, I discovered it's a known HAL bug in Ubuntu 7.04. I fixed it with this command:

Code:
    sudo mv /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-storage-policy.fdi /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-storage-policy.fdi.backup
    and now unmounting works like a charm.