Thread: The networkApplet manager Keyring problem

Beans

The networkApplet manager Keyring problem

I've Googled this and see there are tons of people who have a problem like mine or something similar, and I also see that most of them don't seem to be able to fix it.

Ever since I got my wireless working every time it starts up I get the window that says "The application “NetworkManager Applet” (usr/bin/nm-applet) wants access to the default keyring, but it is locked." So i have to give it my password, and it goes away.

I have autologin enabled (apparently this is related) but none of the fixes I have seen mentioned seems to work, and in fact most of them seem to involve prefs or pref managers that aren't even on my machine, as near as I can tell.

I'd really like the machine to just start up without any prompts that require user interaction; it's just a testing machine with nothing of any value at all on it so security is just not an issue.

Can no one rid me of this troublesome prompt?

Thanks.

PowerMac G4 Sawtooth, Ubuntu 9.04
    Last edited by Benboom; May 16th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The networkApplet manager Keyring problem

Since this "problem" is not mac specific, you may find better info in the greater forum.

Beans

Okay; I thought this might be a PPC specific thing like some of the other issues I had getting stuff running. I'll post it in the General forum.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Benboom View Post
    Okay; I thought this might be a PPC specific thing like some of the other issues I had getting stuff running. I'll post it in the General forum.

Thanks.
    nope this is definitely generic since it occurs on every machine I have (including non-apple).

Beans

Solved this way (for me, anyway):

"Re: Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password (pam_keyr

I might have had another problem as the rest of you, but all i had to do is check one box to fix this problem. This is what i did. Also, i have 9.04.

Menu > Preferences> Network Connections.

Then i clicked on my Wireless that i have connect automatically when i boot up. Clicked on Edit. And at the very bottom it has a box to make the connection available to all users. Check that box.

That fixed it for me. No codes or terminal or anything."