This is an alternative to Gaim. It may be slightly harder to set up but I prefer it as it has some nice features such as being able to set your status by right clicking the status bar icon.
1. Download and install gajim from synaptic or using apt:
2. Set up an account on the jabber.ru server using Edit>Accounts -> New
sudo apt-get install gajim
- Make sure the register new account box is ticked
- JabberID = <username>@jabber.ru
- choose a password and check the box
- connection tab - tick use a custom hostname/port
- hostname = jabber.ru
- port = 5222
3. Save the account and connect to it.
4. Right click on it on the main contact window and select Service Discovery
5. Select the MSN transport or gateway in the list
6. Fill in your details in the window and it should connect whenever you connect the jabber account.
If you have any problems please email me email@example.com or add me to your contacts (either msn or google talk on the gmail address or just on jabber using firstname.lastname@example.org) and I will try and help