Thread: Command line search mp3 by tag

Beans

Thumbs down Command line search mp3 by tag

Greetings-
    Are there switches to the find command (like -name, -type, -path, -atime, etc) that would allow me to search within mp3 tags from the command line?

Ideally something like

Code:
    find -type f -mp3tag genre "rock"
    to find all files with a genre tag of rock

Is there some creative use of grep, or any other CLI friendly app, to do this?

(needs to be CLI based because I'm not running a GUI)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Command line search mp3 by tag

Quote Originally Posted by dualE5335 View Post
    Greetings-
    Are there switches to the find command (like -name, -type, -path, -atime, etc) that would allow me to search within mp3 tags from the command line?

Ideally something like

Code:
    find -type f -mp3tag genre "rock"
    to find all files with a genre tag of rock

Is there some creative use of grep, or any other CLI friendly app, to do this?

(needs to be CLI based because I'm not running a GUI)

Thanks
    First, install the package "mp3info" - this provides the tool to actually pull the tags from the mp3 files.

Here's a command line to actually accomplish what you want:
    Code:
    find . -name "*.mp3" -exec mp3info -p "%F@%g\n" {} 2>/dev/null  \; | grep "@Rock" | cut -d '@' -f1
    The "find" you already understand.

The 'mp3info -p "%F@%g"' will output the files in the format "Filename@Genre" (Needed the @ as a separator to pull the Genre off later).

2>/dev/null is because mp3info insists on printing an error message if the file doesn't happen to have any ID3 tags. Don't know if this'll be a problem for you.

The cut command trims off everything from the @ on, leaving just the filename (with full path)

Note: Because I used @ as the separator, if any of the files happen to have that character in the file name, you'll get garbage. Just select a different separator...

Lloyd B.
    Don't tell me to get a life.
    I had one once.
    It sucked.