Thread: Dual Boot Partitions: Minimum space required for maximum capacity.

Beans

Dual Boot Partitions: Minimum space required for maximum capacity.

Hey everyone. I'm sorry if this makes me sound stupid, or if I just haven't looked in the right places, but what would be the minimum amount of space for an Ubuntu partition in order to achieve maximum capacity? I would like each OS to pull their maximum capacity, though I plan on using Ubuntu for the most part.

(I'm only letting Vista remain due to Ubuntu not yet fully supporting Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, my favorite MMO.)

With a 400 GB laptop, I am sure that I have enough space for both, unless Vista is truly that bloated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dual Boot Partitions: Minimum space required for maximum capacity.

minimum amount of space? i would say 10gig...but that will not leave much room for programs and files...i run 804 and the basic install took about 8gig...you got 400gig to play with so be generous...off the top of my head i would say give ubuntu and windows 100gig each and save the remainder for future whatever...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You want at least 10gb just for the operating system, but with the 400gb computer i would suggest leaving 100gb for Vista so you will have 300gb for Ubuntu... but that is just my opinion.

I did the same dual-boot that you are in the process, but I didn't have 400gb of space to play around with, I had 200gb and I evenly spaced the two operating systems (100gb for each) but I have a ton of media on my Vista, so thats just me.

Beans
    Hidden!

i ran across this in my database while looking for something else...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282018

Beans

Oh, I forgot to mention; the space is split into two drives. Vista calls them "C:" and "D:".

Also, does the partition expand depending on the programs placed inside each operating system? Is there no way to create an "independent" partition in which both OSs could place files and folders?

...This is all making me sound pretty stupid, huh? =P I haven't caught enough sleep.
    Last edited by Wolvenreign; May 7th, 2009 at 05:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!