Thread: White screen when booting up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

White screen when booting up

I installed 9.04 and everything went great. I updated the system as soon as it was done installing and then I went to hardware drivers to see that my video card driver was not there. Then I tried to get on firefox and firefox turned white so I restarted my computer. Now the ubuntu lading screen pops up and when it finishes i get a white screen and I have no idea what to do. Thanks in advance for help.

Beans
    Distro

Re: White screen when booting up

Did you install the restricted drivers?
    Intel E8500 - ASUS P5Q-E - 4GB RAM - ATi Radeon 4670 - Samsung SpinPoint F1 - Enermax Modu82+ 425W

Linux user

Beans
    Distro

No I didnt. If it helps my video card is a radeon hd 4850.

Beans
    Distro

Also I just built the system and installed windows 7 and now dual booting 9.04. This is the first time Ive actually had to ask for help and not just finding the answer by searching around the forum.

Beans
    Distro

You sure? So you didn't press the Activate button on the Hardware Manager app?
    Intel E8500 - ASUS P5Q-E - 4GB RAM - ATi Radeon 4670 - Samsung SpinPoint F1 - Enermax Modu82+ 425W

Linux user

Beans
    Distro

I'm 100% sure i didn't. There weren't even any hardware drivers listed. I went ahead and did full reinstall of 9.04 32 bit because I wasn't loosing anything by doing it . Now I am going to need help getting my video card working. Have any suggestions?

Beans

Go into the boot menu and try to get the required drivers from the root menu

Beans
    Distro

How would I do that? I'm king of new to this. I've only been using Linux for a few months now and this has been my only major problem.

Beans
    Distro

Ok now i install the updates and restarted my comp and the proprietary driver was ther but when i tried to activate it would not download. Then i restarted my comp again and had the same white screen problem so now i am installing ubuntu for the third time! I need help with this. thanks