Thread: vmplayer + Intrepid host + WinXP guest = no sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

vmplayer + Intrepid host + WinXP guest = no sound

howdy,

I'm running VMware Player 2.5.0-118166 on my Intrepid machine, with a WinXP guest OS. Everything's up and running fine except for sound. When I boot the guest OS, vmplayer gives me an error box saying "Failed to open sound device /dev/dsp1: invalid argument". Older versions of VMWare Player have worked fine out of the box (I only needed a newer version due to incompatibilities with the newest kernel), so I'm not quite sure what I need to do or where to look.

Thanks for any help

Beans

Re: vmplayer + Intrepid host + WinXP guest = no sound

I had the same problem. It turned out that /dev/dsp1 wasn't even my sound card.
    Try setting /dev/dsp as your sound card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by j_kubik View Post
    I had the same problem. It turned out that /dev/dsp1 wasn't even my sound card.
    Try setting /dev/dsp as your sound card.
    How do you set it to dsp? In the VM's vmx file I change the sounds.fileName = "/dev/dsp", but there's no change. Upon boot, it's still looking for dsp1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

aha!

open up your VM's .vmx file and make sure sound.filename is set to "/dev/dsp" and sound.autodetect is set to "FALSE". You should now be able to get audio out of your VM.

I can't play music in both the VM and the host OS at the same time; I'll have to look into that sometime, but this is good enough for now.

Beans

I had the same problem in VMWare Workstation running under Hardy 8.04 i386, with WinXP guest. I just upgraded to Workstation 6.5.2, but autodetect still failed. In Workstation, you get a "Edit Virtual Machine Settings" button. Under the Sound Card setting, I got it to work from changing the default Auto Detect setting to /dev/dsp (it was looking for /dev/dsp1 when it failed). I'm pretty sure I tried this setting under Workstation 6.5.1 a few months back and it didn't fix the problem.