Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is there a program called Evolution in CE?

Beans

Why is there a program called Evolution in CE?

I am rather upset by the inclusion this program called Evolution in Ubuntu CE. I am unfamiliar with what this program does, but I find the word to be offensive to myself and other Christians. Would it be possible to rename Evolution or not include it as a default package? I do my best to raise my children in a household that preaches the word of God, and I find it rather dubious that Ubuntu CE should include a program that so directly contradicts the word of God.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Why is there a program called Evolution in CE?

Uh....Evolution is the Ubuntu default Personal Information Manager. It does email, calendaring, todo lists, and contacts. Ubuntu CE had nothing to do with the name. It was named such by the developers.

I too believe in a literal 7-day creation of the world, but the word evolution is not an offense to me.
    HP Pavillion ZE5500 laptop
    ATI Radeon IGP 330M/340M/350M video card
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    ......in other words, hardware that hates Ubuntu, but I am an Ubuntu addict.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Don't worry, it doesn't mean "evolution" in terms put down by darwinists. "Evolution" is a word that means progress and development so I think developers had this in mind when were naming it. As noted, it's a very good mail client and organizer (PIM) and have nothing to do with darwinism.
    Last edited by meho_r; March 7th, 2009 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

So I did a bit more research and it turns out that Evolution's mascot is a monkey giving further credence to the fact that the developers of Evolution are Darwinists. I don't know about you but I wasn't born from a monkey, and I don't want any monkeys on my desktop to further the Darwinist agenda. How am I going to explain to the children why there is a program in Ubuntu CE called Evolution which has a leering monkey as a mascot? Please remove Evolution from our god-loving desktops.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Evolution is the default Gnome mail client. It comes as a dependency to ubuntu-desktop, bundled in the Ubuntu distribution. It does not bear any relation to any religious meaning.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you're in doubt, maybe you should post a question/send an email to the team behind it requesting an explanation.

BTW, I've been using Evolution as a primary email client and for these 3-4 year I never saw that monkey you mentioned. I tried to find a clue of it in the application itself, but no trace. No trace in docs and app's interface too. Only on their website there is a monkey as a mascott. Don't think it has any ideological meaning though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by malv83 View Post
    I am rather upset by the inclusion this program called Evolution in Ubuntu CE. I am unfamiliar with what this program does, but I find the word to be offensive to myself and other Christians. Would it be possible to rename Evolution or not include it as a default package? I do my best to raise my children in a household that preaches the word of God, and I find it rather dubious that Ubuntu CE should include a program that so directly contradicts the word of God.

don't get too typical and forget the real teachings of Christ, He doesn't care about your mail sender, He cares about your actions in life, the love you show to those around you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by malv83 View Post
    Malv83,

I can sympathize with the way you felt. I'm a staunch young-earth creationist and it bothered me a bit that I might use an email client like "Evolution." So for the first two years or so that I used Linux, I used Thunderbird. Recently, I noticed that the email search is a lot faster on Evolution (I have >14,000 emails to search). So I made the switch to Evolution.

I do wish there was a way to name the application differently (in the title bar). But like the previous poster said, we got other things to worry about (~5 billion souls on their way to hell).

Tak

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Somebody should create a transition package for evolution named intelligent-design. But Linus Torvalds seems to be an atheist ...
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

what would the religious beliefs of mr.Torvalds have to do with the name of the application?

anyway, don't you all think this went on too much? it's an application, i have never read in any sacred book that it is against His will to use an app called evolution

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast