Thread: Online access to notes for college etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Online access to notes for college etc.

Hi,

This is not strictly Ubuntu related, but I just wondered if anyone had an idea about a system to store things like ideas, documents, URLs, brief notes and thoughts etc. - but it must be either portable or web-accessible.

I am a student, but was a Lotus Notes administrator for many years before returning to college. I liked the freeform nature of the Lotus Notes structure, in terms of organising ideas etc., but as a student I find I have a need for similar functionality, in a more portable or accessible format.

What I'm looking for is either a hosted wiki-type thing that allows me to categorise my ideas, links etc., or something that can be stored on a memory stick that is accessible from home using Ubuntu and also at college using Windows Vista. I've used Moodle at home as a standalone application, but obviously this is not portable to college, and not accessible there unless I create my own web server (which I'd rather not do).

Not sure if I've explained myself well enough, but any and all ideas welcome!

Thanks in advance
    Paul
    Last edited by potatan; February 12th, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Online access to notes for college etc.

Check out Basket note pads

http://basket.kde.org/

Beans

The basket notepad is really good. I checked it and even created an account. But the thing with it is that you can't use it if you're not connected to the internet. I am also looking for a program that I can use to organize my ideas and plans.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have a look at tiddlywiki: http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

It creates a fully featured wiki in a single html page (that can be carried on USB).

Easy to use, dates all entries, and allows simple wiki links from one entry to another.

EDIT: Forgot to mention tiddlysnip for FF http://tiddlysnip.com/
    Last edited by ugm6hr; February 13th, 2009 at 11:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for all the suggestions. Whilst digging around and trying various things, I realised I'd created a Google Notebook account about a year ago, adn then forgot about it! Even though they have suspended new accounts, the service is still accessible for me and will suit my needs for the time being

cheers
    Paul