Thread: Problem Connecting to Sify Broadband

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Problem Connecting to Sify Broadband

I have been using BSNL Broadband. Now i have connected to sify. I am getting connectivity from windows xp. but when i do sudo pppoeconf i get a message that eth interface found but could not find access concentrator. reasons may be wires or check modem or another pppd process may be running. Please help me..........
    .: STARTED LOVING UBUNTU :.

Beans

Angry Re: Problem Connecting to Sify Broadband

Hi there, I am a novice so kindly excuse me if my reply seems stupid to you. I think that the reason for that error is that Sify does not provide you with a modem so it cannot get the details automatically which it tries so hard to do.

Why have you turned to sify anyway? It has too many problems when I people operate it it windows only!! Forget about Linux.

I am using Intrepid Ibex and I am also not able to connect using sify. Unfortunately I do not have any other provider in my area so I'm stuck with it. I strongly urge you to get rid of it ASAP.

PS: forget about customer care they'll just suck out your cell balance. They don't have enough knowledge about windows. You would be lucky if they know that Linux is not any single OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Problem Connecting to Sify Broadband

Grif, here is the solution. I have been using Ubuntu 8.10 and had been facing the same problem and finally able to crack it.

So, first of all forget all those Sift Clients they provide on their web as I believe it doesn't work for Ubuntu. Looks like those are for other Linux flavours.

Just call the customer care and ask them to provide you login through web. He will be having no idea and will assure you that his technical team will give you call. If you are lucky you will get call from his team. He may insist that you download Linux Sify Client from their web and go through the instructions. You better avoid it and tell him that you have worked on all those and its not working. He will then give you access through web as a last resort. He will provide you this IP address http://202.144.65.70:8090/login_rest.php Just put this IP in web browser and hit Enter. You will get the login page asking username and password; and man ITS WORKING!!!

So simple....

NOTE: If you are not getting login page after hitting http://202.144.65.70:8090/login_rest.php then the sify team is yet to bypass your IP.

Beans

Talking Re: Problem Connecting to Sify Broadband

WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Thank you buddy!! That was really helpful....

There are many Sify BB customers who face this problem and they seek for solutions on various forums netwide. Their service is very annoying with windows too! I think this will work with Windows as well. However, I'm not worried about that; now that will be able to connect to net through Ibex, I'M GONNA DITCH WINDOWS ANYWAY!!!!

I'll post this on every other forum. That means you've just helped a lot of people.

=D> =D> =D>