Thread: Dell Ubuntu Support in Australia

Beans

Dell Ubuntu Support in Australia

Today I chatted with Dell Australia / New Zealand. I was told I can't uninstall XP or Vista from their computers. I thought Dell supported Ubuntu. But that does not seem to be the case on this side of the world.

Somebody had a similar experience. What do you recommend?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Dell Ubuntu Support in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by nieuw View Post
    Today I chatted with Dell Australia / New Zealand. I was told I can't uninstall XP or Vista from their computers. I thought Dell supported Ubuntu. But that does not seem to be the case on this side of the world.

Somebody had a similar experience. What do you recommend?
    its a support thing, if you want their support you have to keep what ever OS they put on it. If they don't specifically support ubuntu on your specific model then they'll tell you that you can't remove the os.

Bottom line its your computer put what ever you want it it, just don't expect them to help you when you have issues, then again this group is pretty good about support, so you best off posting what dell model you want to put ubuntu on and ask if anyone has had any issues installing on it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Dell Ubuntu Support in Australia

Further to that, if you can show that it's a genuine hardware fault rather than a driver/software issue then they don't care about the os/. I had a tech. come out to replace the m/b on my new mini last week and wasn't bothered in the least that it booted into linux - since they're all outsourced, they don't seem to be worried.

Beans

Thank you mbtsoft! Very helpful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One word of caution. The tech. accidently took with him the SD card (still in the m/b). The pi**ing about and runaround that I am now having to try and get this back has ensured that I shall NOT be buying another Dell - I love their hardware but their follow-up truly sucks.

Dell in Oz use NCR who also use an overseas call centre for their customer (non) support and instead of a quick phone call to the engineer, I've been made to wait days to be told it could take a another week or more before they can track the card down. I don't expect to even see the card again.

So while they seem to able to do the basics, don't expect them to leap through any hoops for you.