Thread: How do I find my DNS servers?

Beans

How do I find my DNS servers?

In windows I can type ipconfig/all to see my DNS servers what can I do in ubuntu to find my primary and secondary DNs servers. Interestingly my Ubuntu network connection is working fine but windows 7 is all fubared and I wanted to try setting a static IP address to see if that fixed it. The problem is I need my DNS servers to do so and I have no idea what they are.
    Ubuntu user from April 4, 2008. Never going back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I find my DNS servers?

If you are behind a router, try using the routers gateway IP for a DNS entry. Alternately, you can just use OpenDNS's DNS servers which are:
    Code:
    There's a command out there somewhere to do this, but at present, it is escaping me.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by PoopyTheJ View Post
    In windows I can type ipconfig/all to see my DNS servers what can I do in ubuntu to find my primary and secondary DNs servers. Interestingly my Ubuntu network connection is working fine but windows 7 is all fubared and I wanted to try setting a static IP address to see if that fixed it. The problem is I need my DNS servers to do so and I have no idea what they are.
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    And -> Right click on the Network Manager icon -> Connection Information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by PoopyTheJ View Post
    If you use DHCP then these are assigned by your DHCP server - and this can be just your modem/DHCP server's IP address because it can act as a DHCP proxy.

To see what your modem is actually using for DHCP, you need to access that device.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

I just can't believe that theres no simple method in Linux to check currently used DNS server but searching in my router configuration.

"cat /etc/resolv.conf" gives me
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    So it doesn't help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.