Thread: TinyME - installed okay, boot wrong

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

TinyME - installed okay, boot wrong

I installed TinyMe on one of my partitions in my very old computer (choose TinyMe out of the Sticky posted above).

I used the LiveCD and TinyMe installed just fine. Then it says I should take out the LiveCD and restart. I do so.

This is my message:
    kernel (hdb1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hdb1 acpi=on resume=/dev/hdb5 splash=silent vga=788
    Error 15: File not found
    Press any key to continue...
    From here it is impossible to continue. Either I press a key where I get a nongraphical interface to choose my partitions (linux, linux-abcd (some letters), failsafe). All three give me the same Error 15.

The LiveCD itself works perfectly well. So I have no clue at all what to do.

Any ideas?
    desktop: Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit | AMD64 Athlon II X3 | 3.2 GHz | 4GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD4250
    netbook: Ubuntu 12.10 32-bit| AAO ZG5 | Intel Atom | 1.6 GHz | 1GB RAM | Intel 945GSE Express

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: TinyME - installed okay, boot wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Ampi View Post
    I installed TinyMe on one of my partitions in my very old computer (choose TinyMe out of the Sticky posted above).

I used the LiveCD and TinyMe installed just fine. Then it says I should take out the LiveCD and restart. I do so.

This is my message:

From here it is impossible to continue. Either I press a key where I get a nongraphical interface to choose my partitions (linux, linux-abcd (some letters), failsafe). All three give me the same Error 15.

The LiveCD itself works perfectly well. So I have no clue at all what to do.

Any ideas?
    See this thread. Perhaps is helps.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=297261

Don`t give up. I have TinyMe running on a spare computer, and it is a fantastic little distro.

Beans
    Distro

I don't give up that easily! (If I would, I wouldn't have three Linux distros )

Anyway, I don't understand entirely. The thread does seem to be the answer to my problem, I just cannot translate it into something I understand .

The thread suggests a text-based grub install from cd. Then I just follow the simple steps (language settings...ESC...partition check...NO formatting...don't install base system...)

I think I can manage the steps, I just don't know how to start the text-based grub install.

I already had problems figuring out the CD, but I just clicked on LiveCD and once it was done asking me questions I clicked the 'install TinyMe' on the desktop. That's where my previous post starts.

I really want this distro on my old computer, so if you could give me some explanation for dummy's I'd be very happy
    desktop: Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit | AMD64 Athlon II X3 | 3.2 GHz | 4GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD4250
    netbook: Ubuntu 12.10 32-bit| AAO ZG5 | Intel Atom | 1.6 GHz | 1GB RAM | Intel 945GSE Express

Beans
    Distro

got new info...

I found the grub text-based install, at least I think so...

Did everything that was suggested a couple of posts later within the thread of the link Hallvor posted.
    So I changed all my (hd1,0) to (hd0,0). Then booted again and the Error disappeared!! GREAT

But then
    /dev/hda1 contains file system with errors, check forced.

--- check is being done---

FAILED
    *** An error occured during file system check.
    *** Dropping you to a shell. The system will reboot
    *** when you leave the shell.
    I installed TinyMe on /dev/hdb1 (/dev/hda1 contains my home directory, didn't even touch that partition, I have that partitioned for a exactly this reason!)

So now I still have no clue what to do, but even worse, I'm scared I'm going to loose my home-dir.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ampi View Post
    got new info...

I found the grub text-based install, at least I think so...

Did everything that was suggested a couple of posts later within the thread of the link Hallvor posted.
    So I changed all my (hd1,0) to (hd0,0). Then booted again and the Error disappeared!! GREAT

But then

I installed TinyMe on /dev/hdb1 (/dev/hda1 contains my home directory, didn't even touch that partition, I have that partitioned for a exactly this reason!)

So now I still have no clue what to do, but even worse, I'm scared I'm going to loose my home-dir.

OK. I assume you get a CLI after that message. Type
    Code:
    su
    and your root password. Then try typing
    Code:
    fsck /dev/hdb1
    and press enter to try repairing the file system and follow any on screen instructions from there. After completion, press control+D and the system should reboot as into normal mode.

Beans
    Distro

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPPI!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for that

Anyway, I just found the solution you posted somewhere else on the web before, and it worked! So if I didn't, you would have helped too. Thanks!

This is my first post from TinyMe!

Beans
    Hidden!

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.