Thread: [SOLVED] How can I disable the "Unlock Keyring" from popping up

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question [SOLVED] How can I disable the "Unlock Keyring" from popping up

I've searched other forum posts, but couldn't find the answer to my question. I am using a laptop to connect to my wireless network. Whenever I load up Ubuntu I must enter my password into the "Unlock Keyring". I read on another post to go to System > Preferences > Sessions and disable GNOME Keyring Daemon Wrapper, but I still receive the pop-up every time I log on. This seems like a relatively simple thing to figure out, and I know I've done it once before. Anyone know how I might be able to do this?
    - Chuck
    Toshiba C655-S5141 Laptop, dual-booting Xubuntu 13.10 and Win7, Intel Core i3 dual-core @ 2.53GHz, 8GB of RAM, 750GB HDD, replaced CD-drive with HDD caddy
    spacemonkeypdx.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro

Re: How can I disable the "Unlock Keyring" from popping up

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

It only started popping up after I enabled automatic login.
    - Chuck
    Toshiba C655-S5141 Laptop, dual-booting Xubuntu 13.10 and Win7, Intel Core i3 dual-core @ 2.53GHz, 8GB of RAM, 750GB HDD, replaced CD-drive with HDD caddy

Beans

I am configuring this old laptop for my mom for Christmas and I would definitely love to make this go away. A login and password are going to be enough for her as it is. =)

Edit:
    After a bit more searching, I followed the info here http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-320308.html especially the last several posts. Basically, set the default keyring password to blank (since I run Xfce4, I installed seahorse first to easily find it and not have to write scripts). Not very secure, but not much risk of anyone getting to her machine, so I also enabled automatic login, so all good for the techno-challenged configuration.
    Last edited by masinger53; December 24th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by masinger53 View Post
    I am configuring this old laptop for my mom for Christmas and I would definitely love to make this go away. A login and password are going to be enough for her as it is. =)

Edit:
    After a bit more searching, I followed the info here http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-320308.html especially the last several posts. Basically, set the default keyring password to blank (since I run Xfce4, I installed seahorse first to easily find it and not have to write scripts). Not very secure, but not much risk of anyone getting to her machine, so I also enabled automatic login, so all good for the techno-challenged configuration.
    Thanks for the link man, but unfortunately I ran into another wall.

Heres what it says to do:
    To get rid of the keyring prompt after automatic login in hardy 8.04 you can:

System > Preferences > Encryption and Keyrings
    Under Password Keyrings click on "login Automatically unlocked when user logs in."
    Click "Change Unlock Password"
    Enter your old password, but leave the new password fields blank.
    Ok , confirm and you should be set.
    When I go to the Encryption and Keyrings, I do not have a "Password Keyrings" or any option like that. I have only two tabs "Encryption" and "PGP Passphrases". Neither of these have any "login Automatically unlocked when user logs in" or "Change Unlock Password".

I am using 8.10. Would these options be different in 8.10 than in 8.04?
    - Chuck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try Applications > Accessories > Passwords and ...> Edit > Preferences and delete the login keyring and then add again and give it your login password.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: How can I disable the "Unlock Keyring" from popping up

Quote Originally Posted by plucky View Post
    Try Applications > Accessories > Passwords and ...> Edit > Preferences and delete the login keyring and then add again and give it your login password.

Good Luck
    This worked. I restarted and had to restart again, but it worked. Thanks.
    - Chuck