Thread: NSA S-E Linux applied to Ubuntu??

Beans

NSA S-E Linux applied to Ubuntu??

I need some help. I'd like to know if SELinux is already a part of Ubuntu. Will be a part of Ubuntu. Should I add it to my desktop? How? Viable? Too restrictive? Server only? Step by step guide? Will I find it in the repositories? Hard to install, not for a novice? Easy to install? Opinions? Not worth the effort?

Sorry for my ignorance...doing forum search after posting this.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
    "Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle

Beans

Re: NSA S-E Linux applied to Ubuntu??

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/selinux-utils

Found this. I'm looking now for some detailed information on desktop implementation of it. I hope I can turn on the "strictest" settings. Unsure how that would affect my computer.
    "Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

SELinux can be installed on Ubuntu, but AppArmor is installed by default.

I suggest you :

1. Consider looking into apparmor first (see my sticky).

2. If you want to take SELinux for a spin, try Fedora 10 (SELinux is installed and configured).

3. If you want to try strict, install Engarde Linux.

Note: Strict SELinux has a steep learning curve and restricts even the root user. I think you will be quickly frustrated unless you understand the basics first :

http://linuxtopia.org/online_books/c...ide/index.html

Engarde , Fedora, and Redhat (Centos) all have guides for SELinux.

Basically converting Ubuntu is easy, but you might wish to read up first.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

The main purpose of SELinux is to provide mandatory access control that guarantees separation between data sets and streams of different classification levels. Using SELinux, a machine can be configured such that it can process both Secret and Confidential data for example, without the Confidential data becoming automatically reclassified as Secret.

This is a problem peculiar to government and military systems and is not of much use to ordinary mortals.

Hope that helps!

Herman