Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obnoxious crackling sound from usb audio speakers

Beans

Re: Obnoxious crackling sound from usb audio speakers

All right, here's what worked for me.

After changing my audio output rate from 48000 to 44100 I got nothing. I still heard the crackle. So I changed it back to 48000 and went to terminal and typed alsamixer. Hit enter and you get a simple sound control interface. What I did was crank bass and treble all the way up. Bass Boost and Auto Gain should be left at 00. Then turn PCM down until you no longer hear the crackle. It helps to have a song playing while you're doing this so you can tell just how far you need to turn PCM down.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

### this is written using ubuntu 8.10 ####

I'm not sure if this will help anyone at this point. I just bought the logitech audiohub not to long ago and I too suffered from the cracking sounds coming from the speakers. Just to let everyone know, I'm using ubuntu 8.10. even when using 8.10 the problem exists. So happen to be searching for a fix online when I ran across this article online:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=41517

This forum post discribes the problem as being an issue with the configuration of the kernel. the issue is with these to configurations in the kernel:

USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT
    USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED

if you google the above configurations you will get an explanation for each one. where you can find the configuration is in the boot directory (/boot/) and the config will be something like config-2.6.27"""""". anyway this is were the problem is that causes the cracking and popping sounds. to fix the issue is kind of long but not difficult. what you have to do is recompile the kernel with "USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED" commented out. the long part about this is it takes sometime to recompile, that is it. if you visit the recompile page ubuntu offers to help you recompile. The basic steps to do this are followed:

1.)download prerequisites, open up terminal:
    sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-devel fakeroot build-essential makedumpfile git-core

also do (if your using 8.10)
    sudo apt-get build-dep linux

2.)now we need to download the ubuntu kernel from the up-to-date repository, open up terminal:

git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-intrepid.git ubuntu-intrepid

3.) once you have downloaded the kernel you will see the directory in you home directory. using the terminal you need to "cd" into the directory. next "cd" into directory "debian". next "cd" into directory "config" next go into the directory that fits your architecture. Their will be a directory for 64-bit or 32-bit. once you are in the directory do "gedit config". this will open the config in gedit the Gnome text editor. no what you need to do from here is look for the line:

CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED

next you need to comment the line out.

# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED

now save the file. next you need to go back to the beginning of the directory (not all the way back to your home directory). and enter this command in the terminal:

debian/rules updateconfigs

This will update the config files for the kernel build.

4.) here is where the magic happens. time to build the kernel. execute this command in terminal:

AUTOBUILD=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs

or you can do this command if you have dual-core processor:

CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2 AUTOBUILD=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs

now you should just sit back and possibly grab a beer, pop, soda and maybe something to eat because this can sometimes take a while depending on your machine. almost forgot, during the recompile it is going to ask you if you would like to enable CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED. make sure you say no by typing N and hitting enter.

5.) after all of the compiling and building you will see the deb packages of your newly create kernel in your home directory. most likely you don't have to install every package it created. just install your version because their will probably be a generic, server, server headers, generic headers, etc. just make sure you install the linux-image package that is right for your PC's architecture plus the linux-headers of your architecture.

6.) after you install those packages just reboot and on reboot when the theme music plays you shouldn't here the cracking and popping sounds.

hopefully this will help some. contact me if you need some help. remember these instructions are written for ubuntu 8.10. you might have to do something a little differently for versions below 8.10.
    Last edited by zeronothing; November 3rd, 2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: forgot to mention step
    Something zero possible is nothing! oh yea, hit me up if you need help on ICQ with ubuntu....

Beans

Has anyone else tried this?

I'm sorta scared to compile my own kernel... lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok,
    1: This didn't work as i just installed my newly configured kernel and the popping noise is still there..
    2: why can't we just Edit the config file in the /boot? Why reinstall a whole kernel just for that? Doesn't make a hint of sense.
    When you first dont succeed, google- google again

Beans

Ok,
    1: This didn't work as i just installed my newly configured kernel and the popping noise is still there..
    2: why can't we just Edit the config file in the /boot? Why reinstall a whole kernel just for that? Doesn't make a hint of sense.
    Because config file is used as input during compilation of Linux kernel. It won't make sense to just edit the config file and expect it to work. Its like editing a C program and expecting executable to change automagically without recompiling.

Having said that, I will give kernel recompile a shot.

Beans

Argh I have the same problem with my creative external usb soundcard, I am almost a complete newbie, any chance someone can give me a simple way to do this. Funny thing is I didn't have it on a previous instalation of Ubuntu 8.10 but when I swapped hard drives (I wanted a new bigger hard drive) and reinstalled 8.10 i got the cracking sound and it's driving me nuts!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm having the same issues but I'm a little weary about altering/building/touching kernels -- I know this is an old thread, but did anyone find a solution?

Beans

Talking Re: Obnoxious crackling sound from usb audio speakers

Worked for me very well with 8.10! Although the compilation/creation of .deb packages in the end i was able to install the generated kernel packages and solved my problem!!! Thank you very much.

Cheers
    marcelo

PS: I am trying to perform the same operation with Jaunty beta version.

Beans

Recompile fix works for me on Jaunty final as well.

Beans

I did this on Jaunty and it worked for me.

Before you compile your own kernel, it takes a LONG time to compile.

This does work--well worked for me anyway...

If you download the script, be sure to chmod +x script.sh before running ./script.sh

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo "What version of Ubuntu are you using?"
    echo "A) Hardy 8.04"
    echo "B) Intrepid 8.10"
    echo "C) jaunty 9.04"
    read UBUNTU

case $UBUNTU in
            A|a)
                    echo "Choice was $UBUNTU"
            UBUNTU="hardy"
                    ;;
            B|b)
            UBUNTU="intrepid"
                    ;;
            C|c) 
            UBUNTU="jaunty"
                    ;;
              *)
                    echo "Valid Choices are A,B,C"
                    exit 1
                    ;;
    esac

echo "What sort of system are you on?"
    echo "A) i386"
    echo "B) amd64"
    read SYSTEM

case $SYSTEM in
            A|a)
                    echo "Choice was $SYSTEM"
            SYSTEM="i386"
                    ;;
            B|b)
                    echo "Choice was $SYSTEM"
            SYSTEM="amd64"
                    ;;
              *)
                    echo "Valid Choices are A,B"
                    exit 1
                    ;;
    esac

echo ""
    echo ""
    echo "You have selected: $UBUNTU and $SYSTEM are these correct?"
    echo ""
    echo "Control-C to quit, or wait 20 secs..."
    sleep 20
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install fakeroot linux-kernel-devel build-essential makedumpfile git-core build-dep linux debhelper
    git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-$UBUNTU.git ubuntu-$UBUNTU
    cd ~/ubuntu-$UBUNTU/debian/config/$SYSTEM
    sed -i 's/CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED/#CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED/g' config
    cat config | grep CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED
    echo ""
    echo "There should be a # in frong of the CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT, if there isn't quit and figure out why."
    echo "Otherwise wait 20 secs to continue.."
    echo ""
    sleep 20
    cd ~/ubuntu-$UBUNTU
    echo ""
    echo "WARNING: BE SURE TO SELECT N WHEN PROMPTED (EXPERIMENTAL) (USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED)!!!"
    echo ""
    sleep 10
    debian/rules updateconfigs
    echo ""
    echo "The next step takes awhile..sit back and relax!"
    echo ""
    AUTOBUILD=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs
    cd ~/
    ls -l | grep dep
    echo ""
    echo "Perhaps you want to do dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.28-12-generic_2.6.28-12.43_i386.deb"
    echo ""
    echo "and dpkg -i linux-headers-2.6.28-12-generic_2.6.28-12.43_i386.deb"
    echo ""
    echo "If you update your kernel..start over. Good luck."
    #cleaning up
    rm -rf ~/ubuntu-$UBUNTU
    exit
    I have uploaded my deb packages here:

http://www.aaronalbright.com/packages/kernel/

I installed this package:

http://www.aaronalbright.com/package...12.43_i386.deb

And it worked for me. It may or may not work for you.

You'll probably want the generic one for i386. The headers wouldn't install for me--which broke virtualbox. This deb will only work for the 2.6.28-12 kernel. Any upgrades will not work (I assume). DO NOT INSTALL ON ANY SYSTEM THAT CAN'T BE REINSTALLED OR THAT CAN'T BE BROKE. It's all optional and so forth I take no responsibility if it breaks your Ubuntu.. Just hoping to help someone..

Good luck.

Aaron
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 11hjpphty76lkjj; April 26th, 2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: added that his was on jaunty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast