Thread: Totally Pathetic Infraction

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Totally Pathetic Infraction

Dear wrtpeeps,

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
    -------
    Please treat other members with respect
    -------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6267146

I'll paste the "offending" post below:

Get over it handy. You're absolutely paranoid. As I said before, your data is held by thousands of companies.

Time to put the tin foil hat on me thinks, google are trying to read our minds and what not. I bet their trying to take over the world, but I bet that handy here not using google, and posting links to inform us how evil they are is going to make a difference.
    So, can someone point out to me where exactly I "insulted" handy? Was it when I called him paranoid, because last time I checked that wasn't an insult.

Superfluous moderation if you ask me.
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans

Re: Totally Pathetic Infraction

This is from the code of conduct

http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php...ojs=1#helpmenu

"Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention."

Calling someone paranoid in the manner and context you used it is rude and disrespectful
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    This is from the code of conduct

http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php...ojs=1#helpmenu

"Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention."

Calling someone paranoid in the manner and context you used it is rude and disrespectful
    What?!

Since when is calling anyone paranoid rude and disrespectful? This takes the biscuit. Perhaps we should just outlaw people disagreeing, debating or arguing to ensure we don't become rude or disrespectful.

Pathetic if you ask me.
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would like to give a second opinion.

Your overall tone in the infracted post is dismissive, belittling, and disrespectful. You earned the infraction.

It is possible for intelligent people to disagree, even strongly, without resorting to mockery. Please learn how.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I would like to give a second opinion.

Your overall tone in the infracted post is dismissive, belittling, and disrespectful. You earned the infraction.

It is possible for intelligent people to disagree, even strongly, without resorting to mockery. Please learn how.
    You do realise the tone of this sentence here is contains the same problems as what you highlighted in your previous sentence, right?
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wrtpeeps View Post
    You do realise the tone of this sentence here is contains the same problems as what you highlighted in your previous sentence, right?
    I did not insult you. I did not demean you. I pointed out clearly that you were doing each of those things in an earlier post, and I did so without emotional content or mocking language. Then, I asked you to go and do the same thing.

So, no. You are not right. You are mistaken.

At this point, you are arguing about issues other than the reason you were given an infraction. Two of the Forums Council members have stated an opinion upholding the decision. If you find this unacceptable, please place an item on the agenda for the next FC meeting, show up, and we will discuss it together.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I did not insult you. I did not demean you. I pointed out clearly that you were doing each of those things in an earlier post, and I did so without emotional content or mocking language. Then, I asked you to go and do the same thing.

So, no. You are not right. You are mistaken.

At this point, you are arguing about issues other than the reason you were given an infraction. Two of the Forums Council members have stated an opinion upholding the decision. If you find this unacceptable, please place an item on the agenda for the next FC meeting, show up, and we will discuss it together.
    I shall give it serious consideration.

In the mean time, I'll keep my eye out for anyone calling anyone paranoid, or being demeaning or insulting, and will bring all instances of this to the mods attention so as infractions can be issued to everyone.
    Don't eat yellow snow