Edit September 1 2010: Latest nVidia 256.xx (STABLE) 256.53 Drivers: 32 Bit . 64 Bit
Edit September 9 2010: Latest nVidia 260.xx (BETA) 260.19.04 Drivers: 32 Bit . 64 Bit
Edit March 18 2010: Latest nVidia 195.xx OpenGL 3.3 (STABLE) 195.36.07.03 Drivers: 32 Bit . 64 Bit
How to install nVidia drivers in Ubuntu:
It is very easy and you can do it by just following this steps. Remember to uninstall any previous version! If you are using the proprietary hardware tool in Ubuntu you should disable the current driver first and then restart your computer before you start. THIS IS MANDATORY!
Note: Follow this instructions at your own risk
1) Download the driver (for example in your desktop) - Get the pkg1, Right Click, Save As...
2) Enter in a real terminal mode: CONTROL + ALT + F1, then login (don't do it now as you wouldn't be able to keep reading)
3) Go to your desktop:4) Turn off X.org/GDM (Gnome Display Manager):Code:cd Desktop5) Run the installer:Code:sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop(If you hit TAB after the first N the rest of the filename will automatically appear. Remember, Linux is case sensitive)Code:sudo sh ./Nxxx.run
6) Choose x.org automatic configuration at the last step inside the installation program.
7) Then restart your computer8) Enjoy!Code:sudo reboot
Important note: In some instances, after a kernel upgrade you won't be able to load x.org. "sdennie" made a very useful post where explains how to create a script that will automatically install the drivers when your kernel is upgraded. Have a look here
ps: If anything goes wrong, you can easily uninstall this drivers by following the same steps and when running the installer type:orCode:sudo sh ./Nxxx --uninstall
ps2: This NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release supports GeForce 6xxx and newer NVIDIA GPUs, GeForce4 and older GPUs are supported through the 96.43.xx and 71.86.xx NVIDIA legacy graphics drivers. GeForce FX GPUs are supported through the 173.14.xx NVIDIA legacy graphics drivers.Code:sudo nvidia-uninstall
If you want to have an automated procedure, that keeps you updated with the latest version, you can use the X-Updates.
GeForce 5 series GPUs 173.14.25 32 bits , 64 bits
GeForce 2 through GeForce 4 series 96.43.16 32 bits , 64 bits
Riva TNT, TNT2, GeForce, and some GeForce 2 71.86.13 32 bits , 64 bits
note: Legacy drivers are being updated as well. (Latest update: February 15, 2010)