Thread: Severe system freezes - capslock light blinking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Severe system freezes - capslock light blinking

Hello everyone,
    Lately it's been happening to me more and more, over and over again. Since Intrepid my system seems to be freezing on me more often than not, and I'm pretty much out of sollutions.

My laptop is a Acer 6920g, running Intrepid x86.
    My problem is that after some time, the system just freezes completely and always make the caps lock light starting to blink. The only way to get out of the freeze is a hard reboot ( holding on/off for 5 seconds ). The REISUB method has no effect as does any other key-combination I could think of ( ctrl + alt + backspace, ctrl + alt + f1 etc. ).
    The frustrating part is that I can't pinpoint where it's coming from, because it seems to happen randomly. Sometimes when I'm browsing using firefox, sometimes when I use Remote Desktop or VirtualBox, but also when I'm doing NOTHING at all! I just went to get a drink and it froze up on me again. Even twice just writing this post.

The graphics card I'm using is a nvidia geforce 9500m 512mb with turbocache up to 1791mb ( which means it uses the systems ram memory when necessary, I think ).

My guess it has something to do with Compiz because that seems to be a program that is always present when the crashes occur.

A friend of mine has a HP Thinkpad ( not sure which one ) and has the same problem.

I'm worried this might damage my hardware..
    Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated!

[/rant]

Beans

Re: Severe system freezes - capslock light blinking

duplicate threat -> same issue already discussed here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976287