Thread: root instruction policy question

Beans

root instruction policy question

It is clearly not the policy on these forums to instruct users on how to login as root. I just read through the codes of conduct, however, and saw nothing that explicitly says this. Granted, I skimmed it, but I am pretty sure it is not explicitly spelled out. I think it should be in the interest of fairness.

Also, does that extend to instructing users in how to completely disable the sudo password? I informed a user that that information is not supposed to be shared and went to the CoC to back up my point, and found nothing. The closest I found was that we are to encourage the "Ubuntu way" which is not very clear for posters.

I really don't see much of a difference between disabling the sudo password requirement and loggin in as root. Was I wrong to chastise this poster?

Thanks.

JTS
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: root instruction policy question

Well, my stance on this has been to not give instructions on how to enable the root login except in the case you are absolutely sure this is what the OP wants and there's no sudo way of doing it. This is also my opinion on disabling the sudo password prompt.

We have no place to restrict what users of a Free OS should or should not be able to do with their system, but I do feel we have a burden of responsibility to make sure that users understand what they're doing.

Too many times I see users wanting a root password for things that are either (a) clearly awful ideas, or (b) can easily be done with sudo, but some HOWTO said to use root. There are enough downsides and additional responsibilities for enabling root that people should be aware of before assuming they need a root shell or worse, a root password.

Some support communities, such as the Ubuntu IRC team, have much stricter policies regarding instructing users to enable the root account. We, as far as I know, don't have anything as explicitly worded, but still expect our users to give responsible advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: root instruction policy question

UPDATE: I stand corrected, we do have a policy posted at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765414 regarding to root instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden