Thread: iptables question

Beans

iptables question

Hi, I'm working on iptables and I can't seem to get myself going. I've dropped everything, and enabled web traffic for mozilla.

#1 is this right?
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

#2 or is this right?
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

#3 or is all I have to do is this
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

Im not sure because Ive tryed all 3 and I cant access the web. Another question is once i flush what I have I still can't seem to get back on. I have to restart the computer each time to get back on. Is there anything I can do about that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: iptables question

Firefox doesn't use port 80 for outgoing connections have a look at this output:

Code:
    tcp        0      0 intrepid.local:53463    cg-in-f99.google.co:www ESTABLISHED 6959/firefox
    As you can see from the above output of:

Code:
    sudo netstat -put
    There is no mention of port 80.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hey2222 View Post
    Hi, I'm working on iptables and I can't seem to get myself going. I've dropped everything, and enabled web traffic for mozilla.

#1 is this right?
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

#2 or is this right?
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Im not sure because Ive tryed all 3 and I cant access the web. Another question is once i flush what I have I still can't seem to get back on. I have to restart the computer each time to get back on. Is there anything I can do about that?
    #2 is the right one, but you don't really have to match state on the OUTPUT, i.e. you can leave out '-m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED'

you also have to allow DNS, and probably dhcp, for web access to work.
    Probably, you also need to allow traffic on the loopback interface

flushing the rules doesn't change your default policies, i think. You probably set a default of reject or drop, so that's blocking your web access when you flush the rules

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hey2222 View Post

#1 is this right?

#2 or is this right?

You aren't letting out DNS.

I'd get rid of the port 80 restriction as some websites use other ports and instead use:

iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -j ACCEPT

iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp -m string --algo bm --string "<your user-agent-string>" -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

This assumes that your policies are
    iptables -P INPUT DROP
    iptables -P OUTPUT DROP

setting the policies from drop to accept will also keep from having you to reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just a quick clarification

Do you only want to open the outbound firewall for programs with a source port destination of port 80 or port 443 (https)? Do you need any other outgoing ports open??

Just for the record you might want to configure iptables similar to the following:

#!/bin/sh

IPTABLES=/sbin/iptables

$IPTABLES -F
    $IPTABLES -F -t nat
    $IPTABLES -X
    $IPTABLES -P INPUT DROP
    $IPTABLES -P OUTPUT DROP
    $IPTABLES -P FORWARD DROP

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

### ACCEPT rules for allowing connections out
    $IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 --syn -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
    $IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 443 --syn -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
    $IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
    $IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j ACCEPT

exit
    ### EOF ###

Just a suggestion -- If you are more clear on what you want, I can be more specific. Notice however how the destination chain (OUTPUT) is being filter by the destination port.