Thread: hardy 8.04: how to make a repository cd of the copied packages in /var/cache/apt?

Beans

Angry hardy 8.04: how to make a repository cd of the copied packages in /var/cache/apt?

I had installed ubuntu hardy (8.04) in my comp using virtualbox (for test) and copied all the packaged in /var/cache/apt (the file "lock" was not copied!) and made a cd to make use of the packages later. Now i have deleted that test installation and installed hardy in my comp permanently. But i can't make use of cd as a repository cd using synaptic. Is there a way out to make repository cd out of that cd?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: hardy 8.04: how to make a repository cd of the copied packages in /var/cache/apt?

You should add the cdrom as a repository with:-
    Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom add -d /media/mount-point
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Re: hardy 8.04: how to make a repository cd of the copied packages in /var/cache/apt?

Thanks for trying to solve it ... but it didn't work
    The code was not working so i tried that with slight change and the following error is generated:

root@rhos33:/home/guest# apt-cdrom add -d /media/cdrom0
    Using CD-ROM mount point /media/cdrom0/
    Unmounting CD-ROM
    Waiting for disc...
    Please insert a Disc in the drive and press enter
    Mounting CD-ROM...
    Identifying.. [ca48d8a3fd3bd9302b77eb2e7c63cfb8-2]
    Scanning disc for index files..
    Found 0 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0 signatures
    E: Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a Debian Disc

Beans

got the answer

its in the following link:
    http://odzangba.wordpress.com/2006/1...-repositories/

Beans

Smile Re: hardy 8.04: how to make a repository cd of the copied packages in /var/cache/apt?

[BUMP]

Ahhhh .. after looking for hours how to do this, I finally found your link prosenjit.das. It worked PERFECTLY!!!

Thanks odzangba (odzangba.wordpress.com), here is a tinyurl link to the same post:

http://tinyurl.com/6nzytr

The only bit I'll add (for the new-ish users aka - me!) is when you eventually add the CD and get back to the main screen of Synaptic, just click "Mark All Upgrades" to mark all the ones you just added so you can then click Apply.

Cool! No more 3 hour upgrades after every friggin build!